Facilities at Ben Avery?

adamsgt

Jerry Adams
Never been to Ben Avery range so I'm wondering what facilities are available for reloading at the range.

Never been to Ben Avery range so I'm wondering what facilities are available for reloading at the range.

The tables are fixed and the seats are fixed and all are covered by canopies. If the weather turns foul, you will need plenty of tarps to put up walls around you if you load out there. I for one would take my own pop-up or tent or loading trailer. Also, FYI, there is no 110 vt available on the range for loaders. If you want power, you need to take your own generator or piggy-back on someone else's.

Please don't take this as a bunch of negatives. It is NOT intended that way. Just pointing out the requirements. I like the range and will get to shoot the Cactus someday. But not till I have less Sport Shows and more travel time.

David

Any more info?

Thanks for the lone response Dave. However, I can't yet visualize the set up. I'd like to ask a series of questions that would help me understand the layout.

1. A picture on the Ben Avery web site shows a large number of benches. How many benches are there?
2. About how far to the rear from the bench does the roof extend?
3. The fixed tables and seats, are there one per bench? If not, about how many are there? Do the tables accommodate more than one shooter?
4. Your reference to a canopy implies that the tables are stand alone. True?

It's a long drive from Fort Worth to Phoenix and I'd like to find the happy medium between bringing too much gear or not enough. If I tried to cover all possible eventualities I'd need an eighteen wheeler. I've toyed with the idea of buying one of those Ford Transit vehicles but reality sets in real quick when running out the details.

I'd appreciate any more info from anyone with knowledge about the range set up

Thanks

Phoenix shooting

Jerry
There are 50 or so shooting benches, the firing line is covered with plenty of shade or rain protection. 30 yards behind the firing line are double rows of concrete picknic tables to load on, all covered. Depending on when you arrive. if one is available. You do not need to bring a loading table, there is overflow loading at the West end of the range, but a longer walk to the firing line. Of more concern is clothing>weather. Could be snowing or 90 degrees. Bring a heavy coat and swim suit. I prefer briefs!
This is a first rate facility. Camping is available.
Be prepared for a little heartbreak > the winds are quick and switchy! Have fun and see you there.

MAC

Thanks Mac

That adds a lot of info to what Dave provided. I guess I get a little anal in situations like this where I have little initial data to work on. I don't like the "behind the curve" feeling when you have to play "catch up" because you haven't prepared sufficiently. Once that "rushed" feeling gets implanted in your brain it's hard to shake and doesn't help your shooting. I remember when I was going through navigator training the instructors pounded us with "stay ahead of the airplane" because it's easier to stay ahead than catch up.

Bring a table and lots of other stuff

The last time I was there I *did* need a loading table to clean guns on as I was told they didn't want you doing that on the concrete benches. Phoenix can be brutal, like Raton without the shelter to get out of the elements. I've had luck taking a big 10 x 20 tarp, wood slat material, C clamps, bungie cords, and stakes. It's hard to get a tarp to stay put while attached to the canopy with just spring loaded clamps. I lay the tarp edge over the metal lip of that canopy, lay the slat on top and C clamp it down in about 4 places. Then I use bungie cords and stakes on the other end to allow a little give when the wind starts blowing 317 mph. It can be nice, it can be brutal, over 3-5 days down there, you'll probably see both, and you'll be in good company.

I've seen guys rent trucks down there to load in which is a great idea, except you probably need some lights to see. Seen shredded up tents too. Man, reviewing this is making me want to rent a professional tent like Lester's or have a hole dug and put in one of those do-it-yourself tornado shelters like I've seen sold in Oklahoma.

The crew sure does their best down there under sometimes unbelievable conditions. Don't let it scare you away, just come prepared and be ready to tell stories years later, "do you remember the '12 Cactus, never seen anything like it"? "That's nuthin', I was there for the '09 Cactus, it blew my underwear plum off and I had to drive to New Mexico to find them". And so the BR cycle of life goes...... Good luck....

Hi Jerry, You will enjoy the Cactus. The loading benches are generally shared by two shooters (one per side), they are about 4 inches thick and have angle iron on the sides about 1/4 inch thick where your tools clamp to. If your loading tools don't close to 1/4 inch you should bring some wood strips, I use pieces of 2X2. Lots of guys bring small tables to clean on. The benches are concrete and kind of rough on the bare legs so I suggest you bring an large towel or small blanket to sit on. I was bleeding after my first Cactus. There will be two or three relays and the shooting area is about 150 ft from the parking lot. Lots of people use carts to haul stuff. You might be able to share one with someone there. Most shooters are friendly????? The range will be open for 3 or 4 days of practice so come early if possible. There is a campground with power/water/sewer for a fee or you can dry camp at the range for about ten bucks a night. Lots of people do that, including me. Bring a tarp to cover your loading stuff and clamps. Most people leave there stuff on the tables overnight. Call me if you need more info. 503-812-2378 Don

Woody and Don

Thanks guys, I'm getting a much better picture of the setup now. Right now I'm using a Sinclair press for resizing. I'm assuming(I hate to do that) that the angle iron is deep enough so you can c-clamp stuff to the angle iron, 2" maybe? I think a trip to horrible freight is due to get a handful of c-clamps, just in case. If I bring my 5th wheeler I'll probably stay in the camping area because I need power for my breathing machine, I have sleep apnea. I also have one of the Sinclair carts and even use it at Raton. Sounds like it will be handy there. I have a good battery pack for my RCBS chargemaster but it remains to be seen how it will perform out in the open. Anyway I have a culver type measure for backup.

OK, I'm feeling more comfortable now and getting a better handle on what to bring.

Thanks a bunch guys

Jerry

Hi Jerry, I also have sleep apnea. I use a deep cycle marine battery and a small inverter from Radio Shack in my motorhome. Most guys that use a Chargemaster also use a box as a wind screen. Cardboard boxes with a small cut out for access. Most wind is from the R or L so it works well for the loading area. You might want to reserve a camp site. Call Ben Avery and discuss with them. Depends on what other things are going on at that time. There are two camping areas. one is near the entrance and the offices this campground is spread out over a large area. The other is on down past the Benchrest area at the shotgun range. This one is handier to the Benchrest range, I think. Not sure if it is reserved for shotgunners. Yes C-clamps work great, the angle iron is about 2 or 2/12 inches and 1/4 inch thick. You will enjoy the shoot. Don Edit-- The angle iron is flush with the top of the bench.

Last edited:
Don

The angle iron is flush with the top of the bench.

That tells me that there is a 2 1/2 inch metal lip on the edge of the bench to clamp on, right?
I have one of those batteries I bought some years ago to use as a back up on my 5th wheeler but it's been sitting in my garage for quite a while. I'll have to see if it will still hold a charge. Hopefully it didn't dry out. How many nights use can you get out of a fully charged battery with your CPAP machine? I already have an inverter so that's no problem.

Next thing is to finalize travel dates and call the range to find out about availability. Now to start prepping some new brass.

Jerry

Back