Extractor or No Extractor

rkittine

I am sure that this topic has been covered in spades, but I guess I was just too lazy to search it. Is there an advantage of NOT having an extractor over having one? My new PPC is a RB/LP but no extractor. BAT B Large Diameter action. IT is my first rifle without an extractor? Can just a change of the bolt add and extractor if I decided I wanted RB/LP/LE?

Bob

How do you get the case out of the action without an extractor? Do you mean ejector? I don't use ejectors .

Last edited:
I am sure that this topic has been covered in spades, but I guess I was just too lazy to search it. Is there an advantage of NOT having an extractor over having one? My new PPC is a RB/LP but no extractor. BAT B Large Diameter action. IT is my first rifle without an extractor? Can just a change of the bolt add and extractor if I decided I wanted RB/LP/LE?

Bob

Be kinda difficult getting a fired case out of the chamber without one wouldn't it.

I'm sure you mean ejector.

It depends on your shooting style. If you go by the mantra that dictates you get five rounds down range as quickly as possible in a steady condition, then yes, an ejector is a huge asset in cycling the action as fast as possible.

If you tend to hunt and pick the condition, then you will find you can live without one.

On my 6PPC LV Group Rifle, I converted my Farley to a drop port, because if I have the opportunity to shoot fast, then I have that option.

But, on my 30BR Score Rifle, it is just a R/L no eject. I approach Score Shooting different than Group Shooting. I find that not having an ejector is not a detriment

But, if I was building a new Score Rifle, I would probably get some type of ejector action. The old Farley I have on my 30BR Score Rifle historically shoots quite well, and I simply do not want to mess up a good thing.

Last edited:
Yes, Ejector is what I meant. Is it just a change to the bolt that would allow ejection out of the left port or is the whole action designed around no ejector?

Bob

Last edited:
Yes, Ejector is what I meant. Is it just a change to the bold that would allow ejection out of the left port or is the whole action designed around no ejector?

Bob

Since Bat makes that action in a R/L with an ejector, I would think Bat would furnish you a bolt with an ejector. Or, perhaps install one on your bolt. The ejector is simply a strategically placed plunger and spring assy that kicks the case out.

Shoot without it a while...you'll know if you need an ejector. I don't need one...others have to have it.

Yes, Ejector is what I meant. Is it just a change to the bold that would allow ejection out of the left port or is the whole action designed around no ejector?

Bob

Bob, It depends a lot as to the shape of the benches that you usually shoot. I've had rifles that ejected out of the left side loading port and they didn't work well on T shaped or triangle shaped benches. With a U shaped bench they are great. A right bolt left loading port with a micro eject port on the right side works better for the T or triangle shaped benches as the rifle ejects the fired case to the larger side of the bench. No matter how much you tune how hard the ejector spring pressure is with a left loading port, left eject gun, its very hard to keep all your fired cases on the bench without having to pick up a few off the ground. It seems Murphy's law when it comes to picking a case off the ground that it lands on the neck.

Mike

My 1,000 yard guns are RB/LP/RE. I am going to try manually ejecting the case before I buy a new bolt, which Bob White said I could do. I will need to get the current one modified or get a new one anyway when I get a 30BR change barrel for this set up to shoot score with, assuming that I get any good with the 6PPC to start with. I am a real newbie at this game. I didn't even think about the bench shape, which makes a lot of sense.

Bob

Last edited:
You do not need one, but having said that a ejector is worth $500.00 more. The new kids have to have an ejector. Your choice!

As a first rifle, you probably are just fine. As you develop skills, you'll develop a preference. You can run a non ejector gun fairly fast if you need to. That said, an ejector is IMHO, more desirable once you start shooting at 200 yards where there is greater likelyhood to run a group.

I just had Kelblys install an ejector in my Polar bolt. Made it a RB/RP/RE. It didnt cost more then $100.

So to answer your question
You need to call BAT and see if they will install the ejector for you. I dont see why they wouldnt. And if they do and you send it to them it wouldnt hurt to have them once over it and maybe put a new spring in.

Thanks for the thought. Once I shoot this thing for a little while, I will decide if I want to have the bolt altered or not. Would also be the time to have it opened up for 30 BR also. One thing I want to do is take a closer look at the benches I shoot at and decide if a left eject really makes sense for me. I have a PMA Shooting Matt with a leg of it that does under the rifle and for a distance to the left, but I am not sure if I will need or have space for more to cushion and catch the brass. I suppose I could ask BAT about cutting a right ejector port, but not sure that I want to go to that or if they would even do it. If I like Short Range BR as much as I like Long Range, this will not be my last Short Range Rifle.

Bob

I'm going to write this but you won't likely realize what I'm saying for a long time.

Whether the action ejects the case or not is the least of your concerns.

Thanks for the thought. Once I shoot this thing for a little while, I will decide if I want to have the bolt altered or not. Would also be the time to have it opened up for 30 BR also. One thing I want to do is take a closer look at the benches I shoot at and decide if a left eject really makes sense for me. I have a PMA Shooting Matt with a leg of it that does under the rifle and for a distance to the left, but I am not sure if I will need or have space for more to cushion and catch the brass. I suppose I could ask BAT about cutting a right ejector port, but not sure that I want to go to that or if they would even do it. If I like Short Range BR as much as I like Long Range, this will not be my last Short Range Rifle.

Bob

I bought a used gun with a Bat action in 6PPC that was set up as a HV. Decided to get a 30 BR barrel for it and sent the bolt to BAT to have it opened up. Got a call from Bat and they said the bolt was already opened up. Have you tried a 6 BR case in that bolt yet?

Wilbur, I get exactly what you are saying.

Interesting that someone thinks that an Ejector is worth another $500.00. I talked to BAT today and the cost of installing an Ejector in my Current Bolt is $75.00. Someone said less than $100.00 and he was right.

BAT will even cut an ejection port on the right side for $75.00 and shipping. In that case a new bolt would be required, which is $435.00 or $613.00 with the firing pin assembly. There would not be any added cost for an Ejector on the new bolt over a non-ejector bolt.

In any case, I know if I really need an ejector in the future, there is no problem.

Since the chamber for a PPC is much narrower than a .308 diameter case, how would I check if the current bolt will work with a 6BR / .308 etc. case? Can I just trying it with the bolt out?

Bob

Wilbur, I get exactly what you are saying.

Since the chamber for a PPC is much narrower than a .308 diameter case, how would I check if the current bolt will work with a 6BR / .308 etc. case? Can I just trying it with the bolt out?

Bob

Yep

I think you can just stick a 308 case in there to see if it goes...and fits...or whatever. Said differently, I don't think a 308 case will fit in the bolt face of a strictly PPC bolt.

Will try that when I get back to New York. Currently in North Carolina with my daughter and grand daughter.

Wilbur, where in Tennessee are you? I used to live in Franklin and visit friends in that area often?

Bob

Back