Extending a barrels life, maybe?

Since it is winter and there is more time to consider possibilities I have wondered what to do with old PPC barrels that have lost their usable life.

I was wondering if anyone or a manufacturer might be reboring and cutting new lands in 6mm PPC barrels to make them into a larger caliber possibly a 30 PPC barrel thus saving the cost of the material and maybe some of the external machining?

Even if they could not be made into a benchrest quality barrel they might be usable for other calibers.

Maybe they could be returned to the original manufacturer sort of like receiving a core charge on a battery.

Comments?
Centerfire

Interesting idea. Not sure the cost of re-boring is that much less than a new blank ($350 for match-grade stainless versus a couple of hundred for a re-bore). I could be wrong though.

Now barrels that "go away" do make great fire-form tubes.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Is not the erosion at the throat one of the major failures of a barrel? If so, setting back the barrel a couple of inches and re-chambering might be viable.

I used to...

Sell my worn out (for bench rest use) 30 cal barrels to a gun smith for cut back and rechambering to install in custom hunting rifles. Got $50 a piece for them. Now worn 6ppc barrels would make a fine barrel for .243 or other custom hunting rifles. The customer would sure get a fine bench rest grade barrel for his rifle.

virg

IMO re-boring and re-lining have gone the way of the dodo, altho the tooling is still readily available.

al

14" twist .243 barrels are not too good for hunting with 95-100 gr bullets. I have a set back .3075 Kreiger barrel, that cleaned the 800, and 900 yd targets in Palma matches. 1K line, had loose nut behind the buttplate problems, but still made Master before my right eyeball went south. Lint in the peep? No, cataract, but not ready for surgery

IMO re-boring and re-lining have gone the way of the dodo, altho the tooling is still readily available.

al

I have re-lined a Mossberg 144LS with a badly damaged bore for the purpose of restoring an otherwise 90%+ rifle to shooting status. There are still good liners available for the .22, but they are probably best for restorations.

I've re-used several worn out bechrest and high-power barrels. My favorite is shot out 6.5-284's, cut 4" off the chamber, contour for an AR and build a 6.5 Grendel. Those suckers have always shot incredibly well. I've done a couple slow twist 6mm's and built 6X45's on them on AR's and they've shot great also, but they're limited on bullets. With the AR there are limits on loaded OAL so 80gr bullets and under are the rule anyway, and they make good varmint rifles for 'something different'.

I extended the life of my 1000 yd. barrels by e recrown and will use them this year. The last group at 1k out of the one was 2.1" so it should be all right for a while the shot a 4.1" 10 shot group at the end so it should do for while also, I never had that happen before but i did freeze them …… but you that doesn't work or the experts say it doesn't……… jim

14" twist .243 barrels are not too good for hunting with 95-100 gr bullets
This is an understatement. I once tried 85 Grain sierras in a 14t Hart and it shot around one foot at 100yds. Thats if you consider bullets going sideways through the paper to even be shooting. I knew nothing about barrel twists at the time and was very surprised.
Dick

Back