Encore/Bellm Tune up kit

T

Taylorman

I have a new Encore and looking to improve accuracy. I read alot on Mike Bellm's web sight last night. I want to know if anyone here has bought and used his tune up kit with shims for headspace and the oversized hinge pin. If so did this make a difference in how the gun shot?
Thanks
Kevin

I have his oversized hinge pins. I do not have the shims. Headspace does matter on the Encore - but if you resize right you shouldn't need shims. The pins....I would have to say yes they helped. Although you need to understand that they are harder than the frame (got this information from a well known barrel maker that makes barrels for the encore) - which means when you beat them in (like he wants you to) you could be damaging your frame. What I found that works just as well, is use EA Brown's accuracy hinge pin - just send it in when you have a barrel made and they will cut the hole to fit that pin (it is just a little bit smaller). Only takes a few minutes to shave out a small section on the ears to fit the pin. Either way - having a tight fit is important for accuracy.

I've used the oversize pins and they do help.

Apollo, I'm curious about what you said about beating them in. Did you get the oversize reamers to ream the frame and barrel lug?

Yote,

A friend of mine and myself were working on a 260AI project through the Encore system. We each had custom barrels made and most of the Encore tricks recommended by Bellm. This friend asked him how tight should we have the hinge pins 1X, 2X, etc. The recommendation was that we grease metal to metal contact and use a rubber hammer to "wack" them in.

Mike Bellm has forgotten more about Encores than I'll ever know, but I did not like that idea. I asked our barrel maker and that is when he said the pins are harder than the frame and that I could damage the frame if I "beat" them in like that.

On this barrel I do use the 1x pin and have to tap in the pin, but I'm to for "whacking" the pin in. No I have never used the reamer. I didn't want to start that. Once you ream your frame you would have to ream every barrel lug after that. Hope this answers your question.

Over size hinge pins are nothing but snake oil period. ;)

Can you elaborate on why you say this? Have you used them? I can feel my barrel move side to side at the hing pin. I spoke to a very exprienced gunsmith today after my trip to the range. My new Encore is not shooting as good as i think it should. Gunsmith said that the hingpin turning can cause eratic groups.

Can anyone tell me if the Bellm oversized pin or the EA Brown pin is better.

specialty pistols

check out there site they are better versed with break actions
this is mainly a bolt action site

Im sorry, i missed the part about this being a bolt action sight. I read Factory/Hybrid Rifle.

Apollo,

That does answer the question. Thanks. I talked or swapped emails with Mike on several occasions and he never told me to whack them in but to use the oversize reamers. I had a frame brought to me that wouldn't shoot and a 2x pin would fall through the hole. Talk about loose! I wound up putting a 3x in it and had no choice but to ream the hole oversize. Most of the time if the factory pin is loose, a 1x can be installed without reaming since it is only .001" bigger.

Tommy, all due respect, but I totally disagree with you as I've used them and seen immediate improvement. If you have used them and it didn't tighten groups up, then that wasn't your problem to begin with.

:)Russell we can disagree and thats great. I have never had to use one to get good accuracy. Headspacing with breakopen actions is main factor in accuracy. Come on over to Specialty Pistols and join the fun. My hinge pins go in with finger pressure and come out the same way and I shoot some nice groups. I would never put a oversize hinge pin in one of my breakopen's and will not buy one that I know has had one used.

Tommy, I will stop by over there and do some reading. Sounds like another forum for me to browse over.;)

I also agree with your statement about headspace on the breakopen actions. I've run into a couple of encores where this has been an issue, both with custom tubes.:eek:

One of them however did have a very large pin hole in the receiver, enough that with the action in a vice I could move the barrel back and forth enough that it was over 1/4" movement at the muzzle using the factory pin. Had a lot of horizontal stringing(in inches) till that was corrected.

Im sorry, i missed the part about this being a bolt action sight. I read Factory/Hybrid Rifle.

Didn't say this was ONLY for bolt action just trying to direct you to a website that would have Mountains of break action information and would be a better place for you to obtain a Encore specific question sorry for trying to help

I have two Encore frames and two Contender frames. All have oversized hinge pins and I wouldn't be without them. I've shot them both ways and there is no doubt that they are more consistent with the positive lock up they afford. Mike B can be and is, opinionated, but he knows whereof he speaks and to say that hinge pins are snake oil is just stupid. It's not like he's going to retire on what he makes selling a few pins.

I've learned more from Mike about break open rifles than from everything and everybody ealse put together. The guy knows what he's talking about.

Rick

I ordered a 1x and 2x pin and headspace shims yesterday. I hope to see some improvement using these two parts. I know i have lots of play in the hinge pin so i dont see how correcting this can't help.

Back