Edgewood rear bag / Scoville stock fit

PHaxell

Hi all,
I have a Scoville stocked Panda and an Edgewood Minigator rear bag. Should the heel of the stock ride on the stitching between the ears or sit up a half inch off the stitching? I'm wondering if my bag is too hard or ears are too full as mine doesn't get all the way to the bottom.
Thanks in advance
Peter

Hi all,
I have a Scoville stocked Panda and an Edgewood Minigator rear bag. Should the heel of the stock ride on the stitching between the ears or sit up a half inch off the stitching? I'm wondering if my bag is too hard or ears are too full as mine doesn't get all the way to the bottom.
Thanks in advance
Peter

Peter,

Take some sand out of the ears and let the stock ride on the bottom as you described.

Michael

I'm no expert, but everything that I have read or been told about rear bag set-up suggest that the stock should NOT ride on the stitching. The stock should ride about a half inch above the stitching.

Dick

Michael has won a lot of wood and knows what he is saying. You cant get consistency unless the stock bottoms out on something solid. You will find you have bad tracking of the stock from shot to shot and you will need to realign your rifle every time you fire if the stock is not solidly pounded into the rear bag.

Yep, I found that out the hard way.
The ears in the rear bag will continue to settle through a group and match.
You will constantly be raising/lowering your front rest to make it work and if your not careful it will begin to track sideways.

Problem solved

Thanks for the ideas guys. Took some sand out of the ears, heel of the stock sits on the stitching and shot a .1970 LV100 agg and a .25xx 2 gun. That'll work. And that was in some pretty darn awful conditions where trying to get two shots to touch was hard. Next was a .3500 in the 2 gun.

Thanks for the help Mike. Much appreciated.
Peter

I'm no expert, but everything that I have read or been told about rear bag set-up suggest that the stock should NOT ride on the stitching. The stock should ride about a half inch above the stitching.

Dick

Dick,

One of the problems in living at the end of the "Pipe" is one is the last to know, even if they read the Forums diligently :).

I'm no expert, but it is my understanding that the stock should ride on the bottom (=main bag's body, the most stable part of the bag) when using a coaxial rest - and it should ride on the ears when using 'conventional' front rest (as you need to squeeze the rear bag for adjustments).
I think it's also about the rear bag's structure (& size), a "soft" / squeeze-able rear bag is a must for conventional rest. Different purpose / concept, you need the most stable front & rear rest for a rail gun, for instance.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
seb.

Last edited:
Seb,
Some of us are so called "knob twiddlers". We use a conventional rest, with a windage top, and do not touch the rear bag. For this type of shooting, a rear bag similar to the type that is suitable for coaxial front rests is used.

Back