Ed Adams' loads!!!

Boyd Allen

In looking over the equipment list, I notice that Ed Adams listed 27 gr. of 133 for his HV, and 27.5 for his LV. From the reports, and looking at the results, this was a challenging, windy shooting environment, the sort that makes many look to their BCs and velocities, especially for 200. Recently I have done my first experimenting at the lowest node. Evidently I need to spend a lot more time there. I assumed that one would want more than the 3,020 fps velocity in any but the lightest conditions. He may not be going that slow, but the contrast between his load and others is striking. It reminds me that an unlimited record holder once shared his load with me, and I was surprised at how light is was.

In looking over the equipment list, I notice that Ed Adams listed 27 gr. of 133 for his HV, and 27.5 for his LV. From the reports, and looking at the results, this was a challenging, windy shooting environment, the sort that makes many look to their BCs and velocities, especially for 200. Recently I have done my first experimenting at the lowest node. Evidently I need to spend a lot more time there. I assumed that one would want more than the 3,020 fps velocity in any but the lightest conditions. He may not be going that slow, but the contrast between his load and others is striking. It reminds me that an unlimited record holder once shared his load with me, and I was surprised at how light is was.

Two things to consider;

1) Don't always trust equipment lists. Like for example many have already sent their lists to the Shamrock and Super Shoot.

2) Even at 3550 fps you ain't gonna' out run the effect of the wind!!

Well fellas it is said to take what you read with a grain of salt BUT.............

I sat back to back with Ed at the Nationals in Kansas in 2010. First time I met him and the likes of Butch Fjoser, Larry Bagett, Jack Snyder. They all sat together and raised a LOTOF CANE. I asked questions when I could. That match was tough on ED. He had his struggles.

Anyhow we got talking loads. I cannot rememeber allof itbut one thing stands out is him telling me he does not shoot HOT like many do. Loads in the 27gr area of 133 were talked about.

So Boyd, if Ed was not snowing me then (first time meeting him) I would say it is MOST DEFINATELY POSSIBLE he was shooting that light.

But, what do I know for sure.

Calvin

Just so you guys know, Ed is famous, or infamous, for not telling anyone exactly what his loads are. :cool:

If you want to shoot like Ed, forget about his loads and learn to read the flags as well as he does.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever since I have heard the name "Ed Adams", other shooters have said that he shoots loads that are quite light by todays Benchrest Standards........jackie

Just a question so don't shoot. But why do people worry about the loads. Loads are different for each gun so is it just a question does do shooters think that load will work in there gun... I have one gun that likes it hot and jammed and the other likes the same bullet but 27.6 of 133 so It to me is what the day presents and what the gun likes.

Very seldom have I seen a load that was that light listed. As I mentioned above, the conditions were challenging, and what I usually hear from shooters is that they want to go as fast as they can accurately, with a bullet that has a decent BC. The bullet fits those criteria, but the load does not. If you look at his aggs and compare them with the field....It's not like he just squeaked by.

I wanted to say something about home field advantage as that is not to far from Ed's home court. BUT be it load or whatever, the better man won out. Any person can win on any given day.

Just a question so don't shoot. But why do people worry about the loads. Loads are different for each gun so is it just a question does do shooters think that load will work in there gun... I have one gun that likes it hot and jammed and the other likes the same bullet but 27.6 of 133 so It to me is what the day presents and what the gun likes.

Amen brother!

Very seldom have I seen a load that was that light listed. As I mentioned above, the conditions were challenging, and what I usually hear from shooters is that they want to go as fast as they can accurately, with a bullet that has a decent BC. The bullet fits those criteria, but the load does not. If you look at his aggs and compare them with the field....It's not like he just squeaked by.

Boyd, in the short range game, a published bc isn't all that important. What is important is the group size. Comparing two bullets by bc has merit, but it's only a number. When actually fired, the higher bc bullet might not really like the upper rpm window that "hotrodders" cling to, and therefore, that bullet's drift might actually be more than the lower bc bullet run at an equivalent velocity or lower. I'd dare say that whatever Ed's velocity was, his bullets were "happy" at that rpm and the result was probably less overall drift than his competitors due to the fact that his bullets quit yawing very shortly from the muzzle. Combine that with the shooter's abilities and his good equipment..................;)

Boyd, in the short range game, a published bc isn't all that important. What is important is the group size. Comparing two bullets by bc has merit, but it's only a number. When actually fired, the higher bc bullet might not really like the upper rpm window that "hotrodders" cling to, and therefore, that bullet's drift might actually be more than the lower bc bullet run at an equivalent velocity or lower. I'd dare say that whatever Ed's velocity was, his bullets were "happy" at that rpm and the result was probably less overall drift than his competitors due to the fact that his bullets quit yawing very shortly from the muzzle. Combine that with the shooter's abilities and his good equipment..................;)

Amen Brother........

cale

"Hotrodding"

One benefit of "hotrodding" versus light loads is that when your groups start to open up theres only one way to go with your powda charges.

By the way Gene b, T Boyer and Jackie Schmidt have had moderate success hotrodding.......

v

Last edited:
One benefit of "hotrodding" versus light loads is that when your groups start to open up theres only one way to go with your powda charges.

By the way Gene b, T Boyer and Jackie Schmidt have have had moderate success hotrodding.......

v

Don't know about Gene or Jackie, but Tony has said that he prefers to shoot the hottest load that still aggs well. That doesn't mean he's always trys to stuff 55.5 clicks of n133 in the case. That means he does that if, and only if, that load aggs well. If 49 clicks aggs better, you can bet your bottom dollar he'd run that instead. Or, if middle loads are working, he's running middle loads like how he did in several scenarios in his book where he describes shooting between 51 and 52.5 clicks.:)

This may cause a stir but i would venture to guess that 27gr n133 might not work so well any other place than the desert. Go east or west and i bet you better add some powder to that load?? Just a limited experience guess, i personally wouldnt know! I tried here in illinois just this evening and i couldnt find a decent node until i got up around 28.5. the weather here today was 80 degrees and a bit humid.

Could be Skeet. Just about every time I've shot there, I've had to go down on my charge from what I shoot at home. My home is a desert too though, but it's 3,000 feet higher!

There was a time that 27.5 gr of 322 was one of the most common loads listed in the match reports. Very common in the '80's. Loads chronographed from about 3100 to 3250 fps with 3300 fps or faster for the hot rodders. Sako brass was the standard at the time and I doubt if it would take the loads that are currently being shot.

.....i couldnt find a decent node until i got up around 28.5. the weather here today was 80 degrees and a bit humid.

This past Saturday (Birmingham AL) humidity was very low (33%) and 133 was acting crazy...couldn't string two good groups together to save my life. I shot good groups at 27.5, 28.5 and 29.5, but the next group would blow up or throw a flier. Good barrel and light wind. The only thing I could think of was the low humidity. Gotta find something that will shoot when it's dry. Not usually an issue around here.

Steve,
Just for giggles, try this. Put the powder bottle on your measure at home, and leave it there, capped, until you return from your next low humidity range trip. You may want to secure the handle of the measure with a rubber band for transporting. Don't open the top of the bottle. Put any charges that you decide not to shoot in a separate container, while loading at the range. In addition, seat your bullets immediately after each case is charged, and put your finger over the mouth of the case, if there is any delay in placing the bullet there. I think that you can see where I am going with this. I think that it would be interesting to see if this makes a difference.
Boyd

Boyd I have often thought about things like that.
I think I will start a new thread and pose a situation and see what info comes up.

This past Saturday (Birmingham AL) humidity was very low (33%) and 133 was acting crazy...couldn't string two good groups together to save my life. I shot good groups at 27.5, 28.5 and 29.5, but the next group would blow up or throw a flier. Good barrel and light wind. The only thing I could think of was the low humidity. Gotta find something that will shoot when it's dry. Not usually an issue around here.
Steve, I just thought of something funny. You and Skeet might be cousins!!

'Cept his name isn't Lee!!

Back