Earth Quake

It shook our house all the way down in NW NC. I have lived in NC all of my 45 years. I have never heard of or heard my parents/grandparents speak of one around here. Samuel Hall, Boonville,NC

I live in Wilkes Barre-Scranton area of NE Pa and heard or felt nothing......Currently 2:51pm EST

Last edited:
Some of us old folks can't tell the differance between the ground shaking or our body shivering..

it was not close enogh nor big enough to/for dc obama recovery paln....

mike in co

I live in New Jersey and felt it pretty good, Called Don Stith, hE said he is doing ok.
Walt

Fred, I was actually on the phone with my sister in Greenville, Tx. My house rattled aplenty. I told my sister that feels like an earthquake. I went out on the porch and heard some neighbors talking loudly. They had the same conclusion. My sister called back shortly and said to look on Fox news. Yep..earthquake.

i grew up in so california....
not hardly enough to get out of bed for....

mike in co

Mike: Here on the east coast it is. We are not familiar with them. The earth moved for me this afternoon, scared me silly. Thought my office ceiling was going to come down on me. I watched the room move. Looks like DC went crazy, although no serious damage anywhere. Now Irene is knocking on our door. bob

I live in Wilkes Barre-Scranton area of NE Pa and heard or felt nothing......Currently 2:51pm EST
I was at work in Jersey Shore PA and felt nothing...
it was not close enogh nor big enough to/for dc obama recovery paln....

mike in co
Wanna make a bet? I'm sure near DC it was an 8.8 and there's probably going to be decade long after effects, damage and long term health hazards...

In Philly it broke a window..... Ewwwww.

Probably vandals throwing rocks...

I work near the Susquehanna River in PA close to the Maryland border. I was on the third floor of a four story office bldg. and you could feel the building sway for a good 30 to 40 seconds and slowly taper off.

Didn't feel it here in So. Central PA. I'm pretty much used to earthquakes.

I spent 2 years in Japan (was just outside Tokyo at Camp Drake during the Niigata quake in June of '64 - that sucker really rocked and rolled - it was a 7.5 but don't quote me on that - my memory isn't what it used to be) and 35 years in CA. Was in CA for both the Sylmar (I was in Thousand Oaks at the time) and Northridge (I was living in Newbury Park) quakes. It pretty much takes a 4 or better to get my attention.

If your house, or the building you are in, is on or very close to bedrock, you won't feel nearly as much motion as you will if your house is on fill.

After the Niigata quake the earth kept moving like the surface of a lake for quite a while. It made some folks almost seasick. You could see the waves in the ground surface. Bunch of us went up on the flat roof of our barracks and looked down the ridges of the adjacent building roofs. You could see them moving up and down as the waves passed.

People were talking about the "massive earthquake", it was a 5.9 (not massive), which will definitely get your attention if you are near the epicenter, but more than a few miles away it isn't that bad.

Fitch

I understand that Obama said it was from the Bush's fault. We had several minor earthquakes when we lived in Alaska. We did not have a major one either time that we lived there.
Butch

Back