Dubiel Arms Company

R

rrpks

Does anyone have any information regarding .22 rimfires produced by Dubiel Arms Company? The limited information I have found thus far suggests that the company only produced centerfires, but there is a gun for sale locally which is in .22. Any information would be appreciated.

Dubiel rimfires

Howdy!
This may or may not help. Dubiel worked for Hoffman Arms for a while. So did legendary barrelmaker, gunsmith, shooter Eric Johnson.

I know that while at Hoffman, Johnson did the barrels. As a matter of fact, I recently got SLAUGHTERED in my bidding on a Hoffman that would have dated to Johnson's tenure there. It was a .22 long rifle and the heavy barrel profile looked exactly like that of another Johnson built rifle I have.

I was under the impression that Johnson had only done rimfire barrels his whole carreer. That is incorrect, he did everything while at Hoffman.

Dubiel left Hoffman before Johnson did. Johnson was only there 4 or 5 years. I have a reference somewhere, or I have read it somewhere, that Johnson went to work for a time at Dubiel Arms.

Johnson could only have been there in the very late 1920's or very early 1930's, if I understand it correctly.

If you can date the rifle to that period, you might just have something there!

Best of luck!
Greg

Is there any way...

you could post a picture?

Dubiel made some very high quality custom rifles and an experienced collector should be able to help if there was a picture.

Dick Wright

Dubeil Arms usually put a small stamp on the barrel down near the action. Go over to the doublegunshop.com site and on the last listed forum try Michael Petrov who is in the process or writing a piece on Frank Dubeil.

Dubeil Arms Company

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I did a search on that site prior to posting here and sent an email to Mr. Petrov who has not yet responded.

The scant information I have gleaned from the internet thus far is that Dubeil worked for Hoffman Arms in Oklahoma until its closing, and then moved to Sherman, Texas. One of the posts suggests that the first "Dubeil" rifles were made on actions obtained from Ranger Arms when it closed, rather than the later patented Dubeil action.

I have not yet had the opportunity to inspect the rifle which has been offered to me. As soon as I can arrange that, I will try to take some photos and post them.

When Dubeil Arms folded, apparently the remaining rifles were donated to the Cody Museum.

Again, any additional information would be much appreciated. If anyone would like to venture an opinion as to range of value for a rifle which is reputedly in excellent condition and capable of shooting very small groups, I would welcome those opinions as well.

Dubiel

Maybe I'm just reading this incorrectly but I'm confused. If not mistaken there were two Dubiel Arms Co. and it appears that the bits and pieces of each are getting intermixed. The last Dubiel was out of Texas in the 1970's and 80's and not to be confused with the original, I don't think.

When speaking of Dubiel and Hoffman, that was the older original Co.. When speaking of Ranger Arms and Cody museum that was the more recent Dubiel.

bjm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I did a search on that site prior to posting here and sent an email to Mr. Petrov who has not yet responded.

The scant information I have gleaned from the internet thus far is that Dubeil worked for Hoffman Arms in Oklahoma until its closing, and then moved to Sherman, Texas. One of the posts suggests that the first "Dubeil" rifles were made on actions obtained from Ranger Arms when it closed, rather than the later patented Dubeil action.

I have not yet had the opportunity to inspect the rifle which has been offered to me. As soon as I can arrange that, I will try to take some photos and post them.

When Dubeil Arms folded, apparently the remaining rifles were donated to the Cody Museum.

Again, any additional information would be much appreciated. If anyone would like to venture an opinion as to range of value for a rifle which is reputedly in excellent condition and capable of shooting very small groups, I would welcome those opinions as well.

Most of us folks here in Alaska are to busy watching folks on TV dig themselves out of the snow while talking about global warming to do the e-mail thingee. It's just too much fun to watch and hear about the global warming in the face of all that snow.)chill(

"Alaskans for global warming")chill(

Dubiel made some of the...

most elegantly shaped stocks I've ever seen. The old Dubiel that is. There was another Dubiel in the 70's.

A picture could clear up a lot.

Dick Wright

Michael should get back to you, he might be froze to the mailbox. Any pics are gonna help with valuation questions as condition will have major impact.

Back