doughnuts anybody?????

Ron
Have you tried using 308 brass?
I found it easier to make 6.5 [Noble and Creedmore] with 308 instead of 243.
No doughnuts. And it is cheaper.

The only problem that I can see with this method is that it would seem that the brass would come out short, with a large gap between the end of the neck and the end of the chamber. Excess gap space.

al

They have .260 headstamps on them. I don't know what they did. The cases were obviously resized after polishing as the striations in the neck from the expander ball were obvious. Maybe they made them from another size, I don't know. I know that I don't pay more for "ready to load brass" that has donuts in it when I can buy 243 brass and neck it up without the donuts that is intrinsically more accurate anyway.

They have .260 headstamps on them. I don't know what they did. The cases were obviously resized after polishing as the striations in the neck from the expander ball were obvious. Maybe they made them from another size, I don't know. I know that I don't pay more for "ready to load brass" that has donuts in it when I can buy 243 brass and neck it up without the donuts that is intrinsically more accurate anyway.

Al, thank you, for posting pics for me, I am not sure if anyone can see but on the factory .243 brassin the final picture, the neck/shoulder junction is very sharp, almost kinked. I expanded it up to 7mm then started neck sizing back down to .6.5, the junction stayed, the neck turner turned past it but it stayed creased inside. How does one get that crease out? I think I may have gotten it out, I have fired all the new brass 2 times and no apparent donut started, but its alot of work. I would have opted for the .308 and neck down, but its shorter already, when it is a fired case it would be shorter yet, and I wanted all the neck that I could have. On another note, a friend had a gun chambered with my reamer and we fireformed some Nosler brass today. It was the factory .260 Rem brass and it formed very nice, no donuts in any. I am not sure what happened with slugger but this batch of brass worked well. Ron Tilley

Last edited:
Nosler 260 Rem. Brass

Ron-

Thanks again for the schooling today. I learned alot. I'm really excited of the possibility this brass might work well in my new build.

If the doughnuts aren't present now after fire-forming and bumping the shoulders, will they ever be present? Is this something I will need to be on the lookout for?

Well, I now know I need about another thousand dollars of reloading toys- err um, tools to do this properly (well not really but a few new gadgets couldn't hurt).:D

Ron-

Thanks again for the schooling today. I learned alot. I'm really excited of the possibility this brass might work well in my new build.

If the doughnuts aren't present now after fire-forming and bumping the shoulders, will they ever be present? Is this something I will need to be on the lookout for?

Well, I now know I need about another thousand dollars of reloading toys- err um, tools to do this properly (well not really but a few new gadgets couldn't hurt).:D

Brian, it was no schooling, just a shooter helping a fellow shooter, something we all should do to keep the sport alive and growing, I enjoyed the day, sorry for being pushed for time, but we got alot done and you should benifit from it. Ron

Ron-

It can't hurt to look out for them, I did not and it bit me in the a$$

Back