Dick Johnson passed away

Harold M

Those who frequented the Dunham's Bay shoots will remember Dick.
Richard Coriell Johnson, 95, of Wyck Lane died Friday, October 14, 2016, at his residence after a brief illness. Born in Plainfield, N.J., he was the son of the late Herbert Gardiner Johnson and Clara Adeline Greene Johnson. He was predeceased by his first wife, Irma A. Belden Johnson; his second wife, Mary Buckingham Johnson; and by his dear friend and companion, Diana Pasho. He earned a bachelor's in Chemical Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1943 and master's in Science and Business Administration in 1967. After an intensive review, Richard took and passed the examinations to become a licensed professional engineer in New York State, on September 30, 1958. This became a substantial asset in his career. After college, he worked in Tennessee at Wolf Creek Ordinance Plant for one and a half years until he was drafted. While waiting to report for induction, he worked briefly at the Watervliet Arsenal as a "Rigger's Helper". The Army assigned him to basic training in the infantry, and subsequently to the Army Corps of Engineers "Special Engineering Detachment" in Santa Fe, N.M. (actually Los Alamos, N.M.) in the Manhattan Project; manufacturing parts of the "Fat Man" atomic bomb. After his discharge, he went to work for Merck and Company in Rahway, N.J. and helped in the development of artificial cortisone in the early 1950's. Returning to the Troy area, he worked for B.T. Babbitt, Inc. in South Albany until 1963, when he took employment with the New York State Department of Mental Hygiene until 1976 when the Department split, and he continued with the NYS Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities until his retirement in 1989 as assistant director of Engineering. He was a member of American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences, Life Member of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Alumni, New York State Professional Engineer, National Rifle Association, NY State Rifle & Pistol Association, American Single Shot Rifle Association, Forbes Rifle & Pistol Club, Watervliet Fish & Game Protective Association, Brunswick Sportsman's Club, Dunham's Bay Fish & Game Club, Troy Pistol League, International Benchrest Shooters, National Bench Rest Shooters Association and International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association. He was also a member of the Germania Hall Association, The Nature Conservancy, the American Legion, Post 1881, Consumers Union, Silver Bay Association, Adirondack Mountain Club, Brunswick Community Library, Association for the Protection of the Adirondacks, New York State Conservation Council and Rensselaer County Conservation Alliance. His immediate family survivors include his daughter, Joanne (William) Skerritt; a sister, Barbara Elliott Johnson (Len) Duncan; stepchildren, Douglas VanWie, Susan Kastan, and David (Cheryl) VanWie; a grandchild, Kory (Michelle) Weaver; and great-grandchildren, Justin and Kylie Weaver.

WOW,
Harold I am very sorry to hear this as i know that you were very very close to Mr. Johnson.

I will never forget when the both of you were shooting the Nationals at Canastota Conservation Club and you were sharing the rail gun and you would both carry it off the line for cleaning before the other had to use it to shoot with and Mr. Johnson at that time was up there in age and all I could think of was "Man, I hope that I can do that when I reach his age".
Dick had an AWESOME sense of Humor.
I will also never forget shooting the winter league match at Dunhams Bay Sportmans club and we were setting flags in 3+ feet of snow and there was only a path to walk through and Dick had fallen and there he laid in the snow holding his wind flags just laughing his ass off. I reached over and pulled him to his feet and he continued to finish setting his flags.
My prayers go out to you Harold, and to Dick's family and friends.
RIP Dick (Mr. Johnson) as you will always be remembered here.
Russell Rains

Back