Defective chamber...

feffer

RESOLVED: Defective chamber...

RESOLVED: this issue has been resolved, please see the end of the post for the story.

My brother recently bought a new Savage model 12 in 300 WSM. When we fired it, the cases showed a serious chamber flaw on the shoulder.

[URL=http://s186.photobucket.com/user/feffer777/media/first_fire.png.html][/URL]

The case on the right is new and unfired.

I was surprised this got past QC but I said, "just send it back to Savage and they'll take care of it." I was curious as to how this could happen so I posted about it here.

He called them, explained the issue and sent the rifle and 3 fired cases back to them. After a few weeks, they returned the rifle with a few nickle plated "proof" cases they fired in the "polished and fixed" chamber.

[URL=http://s186.photobucket.com/user/feffer777/media/savage_1st_fix.png.html][/URL]

Obviously, the chamber was not corrected, and more alarmingly, they returned these nickle-plated cases somehow thinking it was now OK...maybe because they simply fired successfully in the chamber. Who approved this? I can't believe anyone with technical firearm's knowledge saw these cases as acceptable.

My brother was exasperated, but I told him, talk to someone in a technical position and get them to take responsibility. So he once again returned the gun to Savage. He got it back a few days ago...again with "proof" cases. This time brass. The return letter said the chamber had been "polished," headspace checked and passed, "function-fire" passed, and test cases returned.

[URL=http://s186.photobucket.com/user/feffer777/media/savage_2nd_fix_B.png.html][/URL]

The deeper shoulder marks seemed less, but clearly the shoulder was still not acceptable.

Later when my brother fired a normal load in the "twice fixed" chamber, he got marks almost as deep as before. Had Savage purposely fired a light load or used a pitted case to hide the flaw? I hate to think this, but... Here's what the normal reloads looked like:

[URL=http://s186.photobucket.com/user/feffer777/media/dale_after_2nd_fix_B.jpg.html][/URL]

I posted about this once before, but avoided sending pictures, because I respect some of Savage's innovations, but this is over the top and they deserve to be embarrassed. Though frustrated, my brother has been very polite in his conversations with Savage. I hope when this is all over, I can report that they did the right thing.

As I see it there are two problems:
1. find the right person at Savage who will understand the problem and realize that it is more than a "cosmetic issue."
2. Getting the right resolution.

Unless, someone here has a name or a specific department to call, I guess the first problem is ours...perhaps Savage has a "custom" department with a real gunsmith.
I would appreciate some input on the second problem...getting the proper resolution.
Basically, my brother is looking to "get the gun right" w/o further hassles...and maybe an apology might be nice. What do folks here think will be required to "get the gun right?"
IE, further, more agressive "polishing," or give up on this barrel and replace it, or just replace the whole gun? Or something else. Thx!

thx,
feffer

Note: my first post was edited to put in full size pix, thx Lee for the howto, and to simplify the last paragraph...the response I'm asking from members here.

Attachments

• first_fire2.jpg
    first_fire2.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 307
  • savage_1st_fix.jpg
    savage_1st_fix.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 292
  • savage_2nd_fix.jpg
    savage_2nd_fix.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 291
  • dale_after_2nd_fix.jpg
    dale_after_2nd_fix.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
It is another savage inovative design.
Radial cooling slots to minimize length growth of the case.

I cannot believe they are trying to "fix" the chamber.

it is time to send copies of everything to every member of the BOD at savage.

It looks like reamer chatter in the chamber. Once it starts it's very difficult to get it to quit. I'd suggest having them replace the barrel. I doubt if you find a gunsmith willing to fix the problem unless it's installing a new barrel.

It looks like reamer chatter in the chamber. Once it starts it's very difficult to get it to quit. I'd suggest having them replace the barrel. I doubt if you find a gunsmith willing to fix the problem unless it's installing a new barrel.
That sounds about right. I edited the first post to show the case shoulders better. I'm hoping to get a few more replies along the lines of what would be required to fix this. I want to have a specific repair in mind when we talk to Savage.

TWO WORDS..
barrel replacement.....

( no repair...replacement only)

That sounds about right. I edited the first post to show the case shoulders better. I'm hoping to get a few more replies along the lines of what would be required to fix this. I want to have a specific repair in mind when we talk to Savage.

Bad chamber

REAMER CHATTER.........on a factory gun... get company to replace barrel.....if you do your own work.....there are a couple of ways to "POSSIBLY"get chatter out..... not worth hiring a smith to spend time on it....

My vote as well!

I'll leave the post for a little longer.....

Thx, Wilbur, I appreciate that. My intention was never to bad mouth a manufacturer. A little time is needed to reach a responsible person over there. I'm sure they'll do the right thing once they understand the problem. I hope that will be soon and I can report they did the right thing.

respectfully,
Ron (feffer)

You are kidding, right ??
He should accept the poor quality work, if the rifle shoots ok ??
You are very liberal with others money.

new barrel and move on.
Barrels are like tires....
What does the target indicate?

If that is the kind of service you get from Savage. I would post the pics and everything you wrote on every gun forum you can find. Maybe they will get the idea then. Jeff

I'm going to lock this thread. Leaving the thread as posted because this is the third time Savage has been less than adequate when correcting a problem. The third time I know about....but, in truth...the third time in my entire life and I'm pushing 66. They won't likely fix it based on the other two occurrences but have done more this time than they did before.

I hope this turns out OK!

Matter Resolved

Well after some time, Savage did the right thing. Rather than replace the barrel, they just replaced the entire rifle. It was disconcerting that it took so long and required several calls and emails, but in the end, they made things right as we always assumed they would. My bother has had the rifle in hand for a few days. He’s very busy this time of year, but he did fire one shot, “to make sure,” and the fired case was normal. Thanks to those who commented. This thread was brought to the attention of a higher level person at Savage. This was never about embarrassing them, but after 2 failed attempts at a resolution, it was necessary to “shake the tree.” I appreciate Wilbur’s indulgence in letting this stay up until it got resolved.

Back