Cutting STP/Mobil-1 cutting oil mix

SGJennings

I really like using the STP/Mobil-1 mix when turning necks. But, I can't get the stinking stuff off the brass afterwards.

I'm using acetone, then Oomph degreaser. The brass is still greasy.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I'll try it. Willing to try *anything* at this point. Love it as a cutting oil. Hate trying to get it off.

Greg J.

I put them in a pan full of water with an few drops of dish washing detergent and boil them on the stove for a few minuets. The detergent will cut the oil and they come out squeaky clean.

I tried that using Simple Green and they were still tacky/greasy.

I can try it with Dawn. I've been using it in the new ultrasonic with good results.

My cases came out nice this time, but the acetone, Ooomph, vinegar-water-dawn, water-dawn (last two steps in the ultrasonic) is too much like work!

Greg J.

I've found annealing to be the best way to remove lube:D

LACQUER THINNER...soak for about 30-45 minutes then drain place on a dry bath towel and dry in well ventilated area..;)

Thank you all. I appreciate the help very much.

Thank God for you guys.

Thank God for Benchrest central where we can come to share information and ideas (sometimes between arguments).

Thank God for Wilbur and the Moderators for their efforts to provide this virtual community.

Best regards,

Greg J.

Try this

Use water soluable RCBS case lube and after turning, put the cases in cheap isopropl alcohol. After the alcohol soak, place the cases neck down in a tray and they will drain/dry. Try it, you will like it. Good shooting....James

I use 28.4g RL10X!!

Actually turning necks on a lathe, I don't use any lube, inside or outside.

About every 10th case I use a slight film of case lube on the arbor.

I use Imperial sizing wax. Burns right off with annealing. Does'nt migrate around like penetrating oils. Seems to work for me.
I've always gone out of my way to keep oils out of/off of my brass for just this reason. Thats just me though.

I am sorry, but why on earth would anyone use such a hard to get off mixture in the first place? I use most any case lube and it seems to work. If the turner wears out faster (I've turned thousands of pieces with mine and is still going) then buy a new cutter part. Better than having to go through all that crap tio clean it.

Sweet Oil..Best cutting and neck expander oil I have ever used and it cleans up with 90% alcohol.
Works great on bolts also. Like ridding on ball bearings.

Wipe on a paper towel, and throw them in your case tumbler with corn cob or walnut hull media for about an hour. Works great, no fuss.

Back