Cutting lead

adamsgt

Jerry Adams
I have some lead ingots I need to cut down in order to melt them and cast into smaller ingots to fit in my casting pot. This is all bullet alloy. One ingot is about three feet long and weighs about 25 lbs. I have a HF horizontal metal cutting band saw. Could I use this and what type of blade would be appropriate to minimize tooth clogging(if any)?

Possible answer

The usual rule of thumb I have always heard is you want 3 teeth in the item to be cut. Therrefore you don't need a 32 tooth blade but a 3 tooth might be too agressive.
Check the distributors of lennox, Starrett, etc
Possible vendors are Enco, MSC, etc.
Centerfire

No, this is already blended bullet alloy and cast in continuous lengths, no easy separations to break off. The 25 pounder looks like it was cast in some channel iron. Maybe I'll try a hacksaw first and see how difficult that might be to cut. Not sure what kind of blades are available for this band saw. Have to check HF website,

I have cut lead blocks with a sawzall with a coarse wood blade, 6tpi, and used Wonder Lube or Alox for blade lube. The bars were too heavy to move easily for a stationary saw and these lubes wouldnt contaminate my pot.

Well, I do have a portable acetylene torch that I've never used. Never attached the regulators. How much of a molten lead splatter would you get with that though? I'm assuming that you wouldn't use the cutting torch for that either. I don't know, that sounds messy and dangerous.

I have cut lead blocks with a sawzall with a coarse wood blade, 6tpi, and used Wonder Lube or Alox for blade lube. The bars were too heavy to move easily for a stationary saw and these lubes wouldnt contaminate my pot.

If a sawzall is a reciprocating saw, then I have both corded and battery operated ones. That sounds like an excellent idea. The ingots are maybe 2-3 inches high and a little more across. I've probably got blades that will work. Just have to see about the lube.

DUH, I guess the lube I have for lubing bullets would suit for cutting the lead.

Thanks

Last edited:
torch. just turn it on there is no splatter. Don't use the oxy thingie.......
Rose Bud is ideal.
Next would be an electric chain saw. Just sweep up the shavings. Lead don't care......
Band saw. With Water soluble juice.....Large tooth blade.....
Turkey cooker. That will melt them done real quick.

Last edited:
Suspend it from the ceiling and let it feed itself into the pot. Pull up when pot is full?

+1 ^^^^^^

Tried everything I could to cut one similar to yours in pieces with no success. The ceiling thing worked good.

Feeding the hanging ingot in to the pot was how the old linotype machines did it. Not really thinking out of the box, just out of this era......:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
What ever you do

Make sure you have the video camera recording from the corner of the garage. Just in case you wanna win $10,000. ;-)

As previously mentioned

A sawzall & paraffin wax as a lube.
(paraffin won't contaminate your ingot pot or mix)

Try cutting an 80+Lb plumbers ingot into quarters!

Been there,done that .....just a couple months ago!

Back