Custom bullet jackets

Koppoti

Hi all, I am looking for a bullet jacket for an R&D effort. I need a jacket that is .228 inches diameter and 0.97 inches in length. Thickness of the jacket wall (if that is the correct term) of 0.018 inches. Any ideas who can make those or where I could go to ask? I know it is an unusual size. At this point I only need about 1,000 of them. Thanks!

Kippoti, this above link may be able to help with your requirements
I doubt Berger would be interested in .228 diameter/caliber jackets/bullets

thanks! I'll check them out. I know it is a custom size and I'm checking with component manufacturers but they want orders on the magnitude of millions rather than thousands. That may be possible at some point, but at this stage things are still being worked out.

How much is too much stretch? Could you not use .standard .224 jacket diameters and cores in a die(s) that yields a .228 bullet? Not enough details.

I honestly don't know. I've never made bullets before and I've got scientists asking me to find things that I don't know about. Do you know if stretching a .224 jacket would reduce the wall thickness? Where would I get a die that makes a .228? If you can't tell, I'm groping around in the dark here because I don't have enough knowledge on how this is done. Any educational direction would be helpful. What I really need to do is learn how bullets are built on a small scale versus a large scale. I've done enough reloading that I understand those principles on the small scale, but this is a whole different world.

I honestly don't know. I've never made bullets before and I've got scientists asking me to find things that I don't know about. Do you know if stretching a .224 jacket would reduce the wall thickness? Where would I get a die that makes a .228? If you can't tell, I'm groping around in the dark here because I don't have enough knowledge on how this is done. Any educational direction would be helpful. What I really need to do is learn how bullets are built on a small scale versus a large scale. I've done enough reloading that I understand those principles on the small scale, but this is a whole different world.
There used to be some great threads on here about bullet making by @Al Nyhus and others. The search function might help or someone may respond.

I'm sure the jacket will stretch some but not much for that amount. It's probably calculable but I'm not that person either. Lol! I just think this might be your best bet but more details are needed to say either way.

Nothing can be properly done without stated tolerances either...fwiw. And everything has tolerances.

Respectfully, if you've never made conventional jacketed bullets before...this .228 deal is not where you want to start out. I'm not sure who the "scientists" are you are consulting with or what the aim of the project is? Sometimes the best way forward is to back out gracefully.

Good shootin' :) -Al

To be honest, they haven't been very forthcoming with information. I'm scrambling here and I've told them that. I know what they are working on, but it's covered under an NDA, so I can't divulge much. I appreciate you responding and I don't think it's where I want to start either. Once I get more informed on the project, maybe I can ask better questions. Or at least slightly more informed questions. Thanks again.

Jeremy

To be honest, they haven't been very forthcoming with information. I'm scrambling here and I've told them that. I know what they are working on, but it's covered under an NDA, so I can't divulge much. I appreciate you responding and I don't think it's where I want to start either. Once I get more informed on the project, maybe I can ask better questions. Or at least slightly more informed questions. Thanks again.

Jeremy
I understand about NDA's but that makes it harder to offer the best advice is all. Good luck with it.

Respectfully, if you've never made conventional jacketed bullets before...this .228 deal is not where you want to start out. I'm not sure who the "scientists" are you are consulting with or what the aim of the project is? Sometimes the best way forward is to back out gracefully.

Good shootin' :) -Al
Hi Al, the group that I'm working with have published a website, so it is live. It describes in very general terms what they are working on:
www.shattersystems.com. These are the cores that they need jackets for testing purposes. If you know anyone who has any M196 tracer hulls (not filled), that would be of interest to them. The cores they are working on need some extra room.

Back