Custom bullet jackets

Koppoti

Hi all, I am looking for a bullet jacket for an R&D effort. I need a jacket that is .228 inches diameter and 0.97 inches in length. Thickness of the jacket wall (if that is the correct term) of 0.018 inches. Any ideas who can make those or where I could go to ask? I know it is an unusual size. At this point I only need about 1,000 of them. Thanks!

Just a guess but you will likely need to start with a .224 jacket that is long enough to be trimmed and swage the diameter up. I just don't think you'll have much luck getting anyone to tool up for 1000 custom jackets. I may well be wrong. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at custom runs with larger machine shops that do that sort of thing, but I didn't know if there was someone that may do this kind of thing on a smaller scale. I'm new at this bullet thing, but a long time shooter. I didn't know there was so much one can do on one's own. I knew about lead bullets, but had no idea that people make their own jacketed rifle bullets. As I said this is for an R&D thing with a company that I'm working with. It's in its infancy, so do need 100,000 jackets at this point.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at custom runs with larger machine shops that do that sort of thing, but I didn't know if there was someone that may do this kind of thing on a smaller scale. I'm new at this bullet thing, but a long time shooter. I didn't know there was so much one can do on one's own. I knew about lead bullets, but had no idea that people make their own jacketed rifle bullets. As I said this is for an R&D thing with a company that I'm working with. It's in its infancy, so do need 100,000 jackets at this point.
It'd be worth a call to J4, Sierra and to Bart. He may know if one or more makers are willing to do customs or not. I just think this is pretty much the equivalent of doing a wildcat cartridge. You'll likely need to start with something close and modify them. If it works out for you, then a maker may be willing to tool up for a big enough order.

At least on the surface, it doesn't sound like a bad job to make a die setup to swage them to size and then you'll need to trim them to length...I think.

I don't know Bart. How do I get in touch with him. I'm not familiar with J4, but I will look them up. Sierra is part of Winchester and I've already spoken with Winchester, but not with Sierra directly. I'll look them up, too.

I think I found Bart and I reached out to him directly on this forum. Sounds like a very knowledgeable fellow and world-class shooter. Thanks for the advice!

Hi all, I am looking for a bullet jacket for an R&D effort. I need a jacket that is .228 inches diameter and 0.97 inches in length. Thickness of the jacket wall (if that is the correct term) of 0.018 inches. Any ideas who can make those or where I could go to ask? I know it is an unusual size. At this point I only need about 1,000 of them. Thanks!
Your best bet will be to obtain (or make) both a draw die, and a pinch-trim die, then draw-down from 6mm jacket(s) & pinch to length. Should you have access to a lathe/collet attachment, you could make a collet and single-point trim to length. Good luck. RG

Last edited:
Your best bet will be to obtain (or make) both a draw die, and a pinch-trim die, then draw-down from 6mm jacket(s) & pinch to length. Should you have access to a lathe/collet attachment, you could make a collet and single-point trim to length. Good luck. RG
Hi RG, where can one acquire the draw die and pinch-trim die?

Back