cps alv actions

can any one tell me about this action?i saw several on bob whites adds for used guns.i remember I read bout them years ago but can not find the article.
is this a good custom action for a groundhog rig?
gary b

They are pretty good actions mainly they were used for benchrest.
I think Art coccia had a lot to do with making them.
an old friend of mine shot one quite a lot and did very well with it
Bob White at shooters corner could tell you more about them.
I believe the first ones were made there in New Jersey..
I hope this helped some

The original CPS showed-up occasionally in match reports. Time Precision bought the operation sometime the late 90's and they still make the ALV. But I nowadays think most of their focus is on rimfire actions.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Walt Pereira was the person behind CPS when they were introduced in 1985. Precision Shooting had an article about them along about then. I ordered a CPS SHV from them at that time and still have it. It's been one of those actions that has shot well with every barrel that's been in it. You saw more CPS's up in the NE US than in the west. Think they were made in New Jersey. Just saw a few of them over the years in Texas. The ALV was the aluminum LV action. He also made a SLV. 1.350 round 4140 steel action. The action used a ball indent for the bolt stop. Get to running fast and your bolt would hang up on the bolt stop. The ALV and AHV were aluminum shaped similar to the Panda with a steel insert running the full length of the action. Don't know whether they had trigger hangers or not. Mine has a pinned trigger with no hanger. That was just a little before trigger hangers became popular and also before Kelbly's rings were being widely used. They were drilled and tapped for bases. So no integral dovetail base. Extraction camming was cut with a half inch end mill, giving a radius at the top of the bolt stroke. Two lug Remington style coned bolt with a sliding plate extractor in the lug. The extractor has a cold spring with a small ball Unertl the extractor. They were made before ejectors became popular in benchrest rifles. So, if they have an ejector it was added by someone at a later date. As was mentioned CPS sold out later to PAS. I think at that time it was owned by Mo DeFina. It may have changed hands again to whoever it is that owns it now. Also it was before CNC machining, so were made on manual machines. The raceways were broached. About all I know about them. Price new for the action was in the $350 to $425 range. The SHV cost me $425.

Back