Could use some advice on an older Jet BDB-1340 lathe.

B

Bryan M

I found a Jet BDB-1340 lathe that is reported to be 10 years old, one owner. I took down some notes from it, spindle through hole is 1-17/32, minimum speed is 60 rpm, max speed 1240 rpm, belt drive, made in Taiwan. I've heard these are pretty good lathes and this one has only been used for rifle building in a one man shop. It's pretty dirty and full of chips, but seems real tight without much backlash. I'm going to take another look at it but what do you think of this model for gunsmithing?

If it was made in Taiwan, go for it. I can't speak for the Chinese machines of that vintage. My PBD-1336( Taiwan) was made in 1985 and I have been happy with it. It really turned out nice when I put a VFD on it.

RWO

I found a Jet BDB-1340 lathe that is reported to be 10 years old, one owner. I took down some notes from it, spindle through hole is 1-17/32, minimum speed is 60 rpm, max speed 1240 rpm, belt drive, made in Taiwan. I've heard these are pretty good lathes and this one has only been used for rifle building in a one man shop. It's pretty dirty and full of chips, but seems real tight without much backlash. I'm going to take another look at it but what do you think of this model for gunsmithing?

Only used for rifle building? (What you presumably want to do, it is apparently good at.) One man shop? (Not used too much, certainly not like it was in a factory.) You want to use it for gunsmithing? It was made in Taiwan (good bearings), has a good minimum speed for threading or reaming, belt drive is more forgiving than gear drive, the spindle through hole is adequate for all but rail guns - what's to not like?

If you can't say yes fast enough, just nod your head.

Fitch

tell them what the price is!! Dont hesitate and go buy it. if not let me buy it! Good luck and go get in your truck and drive!!!! Lee

Yeah, the price is right for sure. He told me I could have it for $1,000. I'm going to go over and look at it again either today or in the next few days. I've really been set on getting the Grizzly 0709G, and still may go that way, but have to atleast consider this one. The only problem he has had is the belt has broke a few times. Other than that, it's just filthy dirty. I don't think it has had much maintenance either, but has only chambered somewhere around 60-70 chambers along with the action work.

Maybe the question for me to ask is, how do the new China machines like the 0709G compare to this machine? Some people say the Taiwan machines are way ahead, and then others say that's not so much the case anymore.

I am very close to being ready for a lathe. I have been studying my a$$ off for the last two years and just finishing my machine shop class at the local college. I'm pretty close on tooling too, but still have quite a few things to get. My plan is to have a lathe within the next six months but like I said the plan was to get the Griz. This could be a great deal though. I just want to make sure I get the best lathe I can afford.

is he throwing in all his tooling ???
this can be a big help.....
i only had to buy one chuck, some tool holders and a tool holder system..it had a 4way and a rocker, but i passed on both.
lots of tool stock and lots of carbide......
i need to go back to grinding my own hss.
mike in co

Yeah, the price is right for sure. He told me I could have it for $1,000. I'm going to go over and look at it again either today or in the next few days. I've really been set on getting the Grizzly 0709G, and still may go that way, but have to atleast consider this one. The only problem he has had is the belt has broke a few times. Other than that, it's just filthy dirty. I don't think it has had much maintenance either, but has only chambered somewhere around 60-70 chambers along with the action work.

Maybe the question for me to ask is, how do the new China machines like the 0709G compare to this machine? Some people say the Taiwan machines are way ahead, and then others say that's not so much the case anymore.

I am very close to being ready for a lathe. I have been studying my a$$ off for the last two years and just finishing my machine shop class at the local college. I'm pretty close on tooling too, but still have quite a few things to get. My plan is to have a lathe within the next six months but like I said the plan was to get the Griz. This could be a great deal though. I just want to make sure I get the best lathe I can afford.

The lathe you are looking at, a Taiwanese JET, is a better lathe than a Grizzly for about 1/3 the price. Buy it before it dissapears.

Fitch

The lathe you are looking at, a Taiwanese JET,

Are you sure about this? My understanding was that the last Jet lathes built in Taiwan were the 12X36BD, the predecessor to the 13X40................I could be wrong, but this is what i was told by Jet rep a number of years ago.

Are you sure about this? My understanding was that the last Jet lathes built in Taiwan were the 12X36BD, the predecessor to the 13X40................I could be wrong, but this is what i was told by Jet rep a number of years ago.

Yes, definately made in Taiwan. It's a little older than he originally thought, the date on it is 1993. I went and took another look at it the other day. We were trying to do some simple turning and threading and the spindle kept stalling. I opened the headstock and the belt to the spindle is slipping. All of the pulleys have oil on them so apparently that main seal is leaking. The bed has 2-3" of chips in it and a lot of standing oil that is puddled up in a few places. It looks like it's been leaking for a while. I'm still giving it some thought but also a little afraid of it as it looks like it has had zero maintenance over its life.

Yes, definately made in Taiwan. It's a little older than he originally thought, the date on it is 1993. I went and took another look at it the other day. We were trying to do some simple turning and threading and the spindle kept stalling. I opened the headstock and the belt to the spindle is slipping. All of the pulleys have oil on them so apparently that main seal is leaking. The bed has 2-3" of chips in it and a lot of standing oil that is puddled up in a few places. It looks like it's been leaking for a while. I'm still giving it some thought but also a little afraid of it as it looks like it has had zero maintenance over its life.

Get someone that knows something about lathes to see it with you, somebody who knows what to look at. You want to look at the bed. Is it worn? How is the lead screw? Do the spindle bearings have play? How tight is the ram in the tail stock?

If the reported history is correct, and it was oiled regularely, it may be dirty but should still be in good shape. Gunsmithing is "not" hard use.

Fitch

It always boggles my mind to see people spend a lot of money for a piece of machinery and then not even give it the most basic care. IMO there is nothing worth less than an abused and neglected machine. Call Jet and see what the parts availability is like before buying.

my jet leaks oil as well. the research i have done tells me this is somewhat normal and not a huge deal. Parts for this lathe are available. If you do a search you will find a page that has ever single part of that machine in a drawing for easy ordering and proper part selection. I say buy the dam thing. hell 1000 bucks isnt really that much money for this machine. Hell your tooling will cost you that much easy. We have spent 1000 bucks on tooling already and we havent even started. Lee

I know what you mean Lee, I've spent well over that and don't even own a lathe, yet. I think I have a little bit of time to decide, the lathe isn't even up for sale. I just new it was there and stopped by to talk to him about it. I want to look at a couple others before I make a decision. I found another one in my area which is similar if not exactly like the Kent TRL-1340. It's priced right and has little use so I want to take a look at it for comparison.

Back