Cost to build a basic BR rifle

Stilesville204

If you provide a good BR gunsmith with a new right-left Panda with guard and screws, stock that requires no painting, trigger, barrel, etc, by the time the labor is done to finish it what should it cost. I would assume glued in is the preferred bedding ?

Thanks
Robert

Robert, check Billy Stevens webb site (Stevens Accuracy). He is one of the best and very reasonable. James Mock

Hi James

I assume the $650 includes the barrel work also, the recent Kelbly 15 percent off sale on actions and components got my wheels turning. A new Panda could be had for less than a grand.

Robert, check Billy Stevens webb site (Stevens Accuracy). He is one of the best and very reasonable. James Mock

I have also found Doyle Anglin (Dixie Guns - Winder Georgia - 706-654-8400) to produce excellent results and with reasonable prices and he also is a wholesale supplier of some pretty nice Bench Rest stocks. He has built two rifles for me in the recent past.

Bob

Don't forget bases, rings and optics, plus the other little things that add up. Bore Guide, Mirage Shade and Case.

Bob

Thanks for this update! I know it wasn't for me but the guy is only 2.5 hours away and I'm getting back in to bench rest and need all the info I can get! I have a new (old) Hall receiver with a 6PPC barrel and jewel trigger, I'll have to see what it would be to chamber in 6.5 CM (or not)

My experience

There are a number of reputable Benchrest Gunsmiths that will build you what you want. Some advertise here on this forum. The key is, choose a reputable Gunsmith. Somebody that is well known and will stand behind their work. If you like Rifles,this is no time for bargain hunting. Pay them what they ask. You will be happy that you did...... I know.

Glenn

If you are on a really tight budget buy a used Benchrest rifle that has 500 or so rounds through it. There are always plenty to choose from. Benchrest rifles, like, automobiles, depreciate with age and not necessarily with use.

Think the process through and get the stock style and action configuration you want. Take that gun and learn how to tune and shoot it. Then later when you feel the gun is holding you back, put a new barrel on it.

A stock is not going to wear out and neither is a good quality action. A top Kelblys gunsmiths told me they see several Pandas with over 100,000 rounds through them and they are still in good accuracy condition.

With diligence you should find a really good setup, with scope, for $1,400-$1,800. Brass, dies, powder measure, etc., about $500.

By the time you figure this game out and have really developed the desire to win, start upgrading.

I have several Pandas. The oldest is a 1992, the newest is a 2014. The oldest will shoot with the newest in all aspects.

If you are on a really tight budget buy a used Benchrest rifle that has 500 or so rounds through it. There are always plenty to choose from. Benchrest rifles, like, automobiles, depreciate with age and not necessarily with use.

Think the process through and get the stock style and action configuration you want. Take that gun and learn how to tune and shoot it. Then later when you feel the gun is holding you back, put a new barrel on it.

A stock is not going to wear out and neither is a good quality action. A top Kelblys gunsmiths told me they see several Pandas with over 100,000 rounds through them and they are still in good accuracy condition.

With diligence you should find a really good setup, with scope, for $1,400-$1,800. Brass, dies, powder measure, etc., about $500.

By the time you figure this game out and have really developed the desire to win, start upgrading.

I have several Pandas. The oldest is a 1992, the newest is a 2014. The oldest will shoot with the newest in all aspects.

Jerry, I have to second that. I have seen shooters with old Pandas shoot phenomenal aggs.

Maybe you remember this. At one of the later Crawfish's that was held in Lafayette, a shooter was kicking every bodies tail with an old Panda that looked like it had been under salt water for a decade. Pure ugly. But.......
It was shooting lights out. I can not recall his name.

That was one of those matches that it rained, and rained, and rained. We had a tarp strung over the loading shed on the right trying to keep it from blowing in. Suddenly, it collapsed, filled with water, on several of our loading tables, on power, primers, everything.

Last edited:
I happened on a older dual port panda with tg ejector and a scoville stock about a month ago on accurate shooter ended up getting it for $1,850. Put a new barrel on it
It shoots pretty good

Jerry, I have to second that. I have seen shooters with old Pandas shoot phenomenal aggs.

Maybe you remember this. At one of the later Crawfish's that was held in Lafayette, a shooter was kicking every bodies tail with an old Panda that looked like it had been under salt water for a decade. Pure ugly. But.......
It was shooting lights out. I can not recall his name.

That was one of those matches that it rained, and rained, and rained. We had a tarp strung over the loading shed on the right trying to keep it from blowing in. Suddenly, it collapsed, filled with water, on several of our loading tables, on power, primers, everything.

Stan Buchtel won the last Crawfish match shot at Lafayette. He was shooting a Panda, but I don't know how old it was. James Mock

That's the one. Thanks for jogging my memory. If everybody remembers, that thing looked like it could have been Serial #1.

But it sure shot good.

Last edited:
I've had rifles built by a number of people. This was AFTER I went to Pine Technical Institute Of Gunsmithing to learn how to build rifles.

It is my strong opinion that THE BEST WAY TO SAVE MONEY is to absolutely use a known Bench Rest Gunsmith with a proven track record of building winning guns.

And, on top of that that used BR rifles with a pedigree are regularly sold for much less than they're worth. You wanna' WIN? You wanna' LEARN HOW TO SHOOT?? Go to Bob White or Borden's Accuracy or to the classified's on this site and just buy a proven USED winner. Have the gunsmith that built the rifle put a new barrel on.

Of course there are many ways, but having spent tens of thousands (or so I tell my wife) often UN-wisely, I can state as FACT that it ain't the indian.....it IS the arrow 99% of the time. It's just that the actual top, winningest shooters are not only GOOD SHOOTERS, they're absolutely tops and buying/finding/building win-capable setups and KEEPING THEM IN WINNING TRIM!!!

If you've REALLY got a gun shooting you can lay it on a rolled up coat and tie a cat to the trigger.....

and WIN...

Back