Cooper Model 22 6.5x284

A

Artex

My father just purchased the Cooper Model 22 6.5x284 and, as he is very poor with computers, was wanting me to find out as much information as possible.

Any and all advice/suggestions will appreciated.

He's obviously wanting to do his own catridges, and is interested in maximum accuracy.

I would greatly appreciate anything you could possibly tell me.

142 berger's and a healthy dose of 4350
seat it long and keep it clean
should shoot like a lazer beam;)

Howdy Artex,

All of Cooper rifles are guarenteed to shoot 1/2" or better at 100 yards.

You can readily find loads for this caliber out of any good reloading manual, or go to hodgdon powder on the web and they have a good selection of loads for the 6.5x284. Follow the break in procedure from Cooper with a mid -range load and see how it shoots.

Now word of warning, Do be very cautious with Hot loads or seating depths that are not published. The reason for this is that I have a model 22 montana varminter in 220 swift that is back at cooper right now for a rebarrel. The throat had a crack in it, I had loaded up some H380, CCI primers, and some 52gr Noslers, and got some very healthy velocitys (averaged 3950, with the high being 4025 :eek:) gave up on that one, anyways Cooper wasnt to thrilled since the highest published load was 3800, and ended up costing me a few hundred bucks to fix instead of free. 1500 rounds went down the tube, and it only took 25 to ruin it. Rifle was an excellent shooter, was in the money at quite a few 200 yard varmint matches with it.
The good side is that I have seen an awful lot of Coopers, and have yet to see one that wouldnt shoot.
Enjoy

DR

Last edited:
My father just purchased the Cooper Model 22 6.5x284 and, as he is very poor with computers, was wanting me to find out as much information as possible.

Any and all advice/suggestions will appreciated.

He's obviously wanting to do his own catridges, and is interested in maximum accuracy.

I would greatly appreciate anything you could possibly tell me.

http://www.6mmbr.com/SixFive284.html

Wow, thank you guys so much. Like I said, I'm not all that familiar with where to look and stuff as its my father's rifle.

He was also wanting to know who made the barrel. If cooper made them in house, or if they outsourced it.

Again any info would be great.

cooper 6.5-284

my brother has one. good trigger good barrel. not real heavy . very accurate. his has a 1 in 9 twist . will not shoot 142's or 140 bergers. he uses 130 norma and 123 scenar.

Back