Congratulations to Reed Garfield!!!

Jim Pag

I would like to Congratulate Reed Garfield of VT on shooting a 250-25X'S at the Dog Days of Summer match held last Saturday the 16th at the Caledonia Forest & Stream Club in Beautiful St Johnbury, VT. I was shooting next to Reed at bench 2 and he just tearing up the place with that rifle. Funny thing is, Reed bought a used Rock Creek from Jim Eazor of EPS Bullets with only 8 rounds thru it, (THANKS JIM I OWE U ONE, LOL!)to replace his aging Krieger and he was fire forming cases the entire event to boot! Well Reed if I had to get smoked out of 1st place the way I did, I couldn't of asked for a nicer person to get my butt handed to me by! GREAT SHOOTING REED! I WAS SOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!

Thank you, Jim, Rick and Bart. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a note. Just for the record, I was shooting over Graham wind flags (a couple of 'em with holes that shouldn't be there!)! Jim, it's always great to shoot with you and Cindy and the whole CFSC gang. Greatest bunch of shooters and great friends. Pretty heady stuff to get my first-ever match win with a 250/25X score. A lot of people have played a big part in my shooting. I'd like to take this opportunity to give a bit of testimony.

When we started having IBS matches at Caledonia Forest & Stream Club, it was the first time sanctioned benchrest matches had ever been held in Vermont. I sent my Savage BVSS to Mickey Coleman and he put a used barrel and used stock on it and sent it and a bunch of used wind flags back to me. And that was my beginning.

I would never have had a full custom benchrest rifle without The Caledonian-Record, a small daily newspaper where I worked for 45 years. As a retirement gift, they literally gave me a blank check and said build whatever you want for a benchrest rifle -- no limit.

I selected a top name gunsmith and started ordering pieces. I selected a BAT SV action, Krieger 1:18 barrel, Robertson BRX stock, Jewell trigger and Leupold 45X scope. About a year into the gathering, the gunsmith started telling conflicting stories, lying, not returning calls, etc. Finally, I had all the pieces except the stock and had been waiting about six months for it. At one of our matches, Jim Borden was here and asked how the new rifle was coming. I told him what was going on and how discouraged I was getting with the name brand 'smith. When Jim got back home, he called me and gave me Ian Robertson's phone number and told me to call and find out what was going on with the stock. I called Ian, a totally fine gentleman who answered his home phone on a Sunday. He told me he made "all the stocks" for the name brand 'smith but didn't think he had any on order. When he went into the shop the next day, he called me and said there wasn't any stock on order for me and that the name brand 'smith hadn't ordered a stock in months. Ian asked what I wanted and I told him. He special made it the next day. Jim stepped up and said to send him all the pieces I had and he'd build my gun. He built me the most beautiful creation I've ever seen, and way better than I'm able to shoot it. Jim didn't have to do that and I'm indebted to him for his work.

It's been great fun and I thank all the folks who have been a part of it.

Sorry I missed it!

Reed, congrats big guy! Wow, you probably can count on your fingers how many matches you have shot in competition and you already have a 25x. I always told you that bench one was sweet. :) Any idea how many wipe-outs? What hurdle will you conquer next??? Great job by one of the nicest gentleman I know.

An Honor to Be There

Reed, it was an honor to be there for your accomplishment, but then it's always an honor to shoot with you! The advice and encouragement from you and others at the matches you host has helped me and others warm to the Benchrest game quickly.

Thank you, Jim, Rick and Bart. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a note. Just for the record, I was shooting over Graham wind flags (a couple of 'em with holes that shouldn't be there!)! Jim, it's always great to shoot with you and Cindy and the whole CFSC gang. Greatest bunch of shooters and great friends. Pretty heady stuff to get my first-ever match win with a 250/25X score. A lot of people have played a big part in my shooting. I'd like to take this opportunity to give a bit of testimony.

When we started having IBS matches at Caledonia Forest & Stream Club, it was the first time sanctioned benchrest matches had ever been held in Vermont. I sent my Savage BVSS to Mickey Coleman and he put a used barrel and used stock on it and sent it and a bunch of used wind flags back to me. And that was my beginning.

I would never have had a full custom benchrest rifle without The Caledonian-Record, a small daily newspaper where I worked for 45 years. As a retirement gift, they literally gave me a blank check and said build whatever you want for a benchrest rifle -- no limit.

I selected a top name gunsmith and started ordering pieces. I selected a BAT SV action, Krieger 1:18 barrel, Robertson BRX stock, Jewell trigger and Leupold 45X scope. About a year into the gathering, the gunsmith started telling conflicting stories, lying, not returning calls, etc. Finally, I had all the pieces except the stock and had been waiting about six months for it. At one of our matches, Jim Borden was here and asked how the new rifle was coming. I told him what was going on and how discouraged I was getting with the name brand 'smith. When Jim got back home, he called me and gave me Ian Robertson's phone number and told me to call and find out what was going on with the stock. I called Ian, a totally fine gentleman who answered his home phone on a Sunday. He told me he made "all the stocks" for the name brand 'smith but didn't think he had any on order. When he went into the shop the next day, he called me and said there wasn't any stock on order for me and that the name brand 'smith hadn't ordered a stock in months. Ian asked what I wanted and I told him. He special made it the next day. Jim stepped up and said to send him all the pieces I had and he'd build my gun. He built me the most beautiful creation I've ever seen, and way better than I'm able to shoot it. Jim didn't have to do that and I'm indebted to him for his work.

It's been great fun and I thank all the folks who have been a part of it.

Well Reed, it was an honor to shoot beside you on that most special day of your shooting career. Cindy & I always look forward to shooting in VT. It is without a doubt our favorite range to shoot at. Last year was my first year shooting and I racked up my only 2 wins of the year at your range. You and Doctor Bill always put on a great match. You would have shot 25 X's on any bench that day, even bench 12!

Last edited:
Back