Congratulations, David Phillips, small group @ Manatee & Hobie too.

Kirk Ethridge

I took a fellow hick to Florida last week, David Phillips.

This was his 1st benchrest match. (group shooting)

He shot a range record .076 @ 100yds! He may have even done well in the agg, except on 2 targets he shot 6 rounds. I know one of his larger groups would have been a (1) without the extra round. I showed him a little brass management trick or 2 after Larry Costa told him about the extra shots. David knew about 1 of the extra rounds, but didn't realize he had done it twice. (Larry scored the match and did a great job by the way!)

David didn't realize what the wind would do to a bullet before this experience. He was bad to just shoot early in the morning or late evening when the wind is calm.

He made me happy for sure,, shooting my rifle: Viper, Richards barrel, (Greg Richards made Broughtons before the current owner). and my 7-11 bullet. (Double radius ogive die by Niemi). I placed 3rd in sporter in Bradenton with this rifle a number of years ago, and let it rest until last week.

I really enjoy shooting the winds of Manatee. It is great down there when it stays warm like last week. I didn't do well but had a great time any how.

Also,,Thanks to Hobie Bond who gave me his back up Kelby trigger to use on my panda (exchanged for mine which needed a tweek ). Congratulations to Hobie too. He shot great to say the least.

We have snow now, and ice and its just plain cold out. Have more tournaments down there!

Kirk in good old Bulls Gap, Tn.

p.s. sorry this is so late, my computer crashed, & i'm just now getting it runnin again..

Last edited:
Back