confused about cleaing method in Tony Boyer's Book of Rifle Accuracy

Hi guys. Hoping someone can help me understand Tony's cleaning method. In his book, he says "I run two 1-3/4" patches through the bore soaked with WIPE-OUT wih ACCELERATOR. After I run the wet patches through, I soak the nylon brush with WIPE-OUT with ACCELERATOR and do enough strokes with the brush until the barrel feels smooth...."

I know that WIPE-OUT and the WIPE-OUT ACCELERATOR are two different products. Is he mixing the 2 products together? That's the way I understand the book, but not the way I've been using it. Thanks!

I have the products and have used them the way the manufacturer recommends.
In the first paragraph of this link it says Accelerator it not meant to be used by itself...

If you have time. Just use patch-out.
If not I run Accelerator first. Then a patch of patch-out(friend does it the other way). I use a bronze brush 8-10 strokes. Run a wet patch of patch-out to clean out brush stuff.
Reload. Run 2 dry patches and a patch with 3 drops of loc-ease.
At the Super shoot this year. I went back to using Butches.
Saved the patch out for soaking over night. This seems to work better. Patch out is really sticky.
Everything was getting sticky. Which picks up dirt.
I now clean this stuff out with fresh water on a patch. Then the dry patches.
And clean my rods with water.
Groups seem to tighten up. At the Super Shoot.....
Bore scope the barrel. And that looks good also.......

Last edited:
Wipe Out is a foam, and is designed to be squirted directly into the bore, and let soak. The bore can be prepared by patching in some Accelerator first. The version of the same ingredients that is designed to be used with patches and brushes is called Patch Out, by the same manufacturer. It can also be used with Accelerator. Perhaps there is a typo in the book. Sometimes related terms can be accidentally switched.

Wipe Out is a foam, and is designed to be squirted directly into the bore, and let soak. The bore can be prepared by patching in some Accelerator first. The version of the same ingredients that is designed to be used with patches and brushes is called Patch Out, by the same manufacturer. It can also be used with Accelerator. Perhaps there is a typo in the book. Sometimes related terms can be accidentally switched.

Not many still use the foam. The wipe out used these days is a liquid that many if not most also use the accelerator with by squirting it on a patch moistened with the former. Some follow up with a brushing either with nylon or bronze, although the bronze brush must be cleaned with a solvent to deactivate it

Well, I was a bit confused by the descriptions in the book also, but gratified that I stumbled on a cleaning method similar to Tony's. It is my understanding that there are four "Wipe-Out" products:
1. The original foam.
2. Accelerator liquid.
3 Patch-Out liquid.
4. Carb-Out liquid.
I have and use all four. At the range, between relays, I scrub with one or two patches with Accelerator on a tight fitting jag. Then I follow with patch of Patch-Out and let that sit for a few minutes. Then I do a couple of dry patches. When I get home, I use a patch or two of Accelerator, and then an application of foam, which I let sit for an hour or more. On my Lilja-barreled 30BR, this does the trick. Rifles that don't get cleaned at the range can take up to three applications of the Accelerator and foam, depending on rounds fired or the quality of the bore. Really dirty bores sometimes get to sit with the foam in them overnight. If it takes more than three applications, it probably needs a new barrel. Carb-Out is a specialty product and I only use it in certain circumstances when the bore-scope indicates. I only use other products in special cases, usually with bores on used rifles that have been neglected.

Tim,
So you're saying to put the accelerator on a patch or brush that is already soaked with patchout, correct? This would make what I read in the book make sense.

Does anyone know who will sell this book outside the US/Canada? I;ve mailed but not gotten an answer

Boyd and Jerry. Thanks for catching the spelling errors.

Accelerator first. It wipes out the big chunks of powder and carbon. I could tell a difference with the brush. 3-4 stroke it starts to squeak. Maybe it's clean then. I give it another stroke or 2.

There is a 5th product. Hope to get it tomorrow. Lead-out.

Lead-Out

You are correct. I overlooked that one. For some reason, my brain has always shut down when someone told me to "get the lead out."

Sorry guys, I wrote it and now I can't seem to remember because I use a different method of cleaning. I do remember that he puts the Patch-out with the Accelerator on the same patch and runs it through ( I think he does this twice), He then lets it sit while he goes and loads more rounds and on the way out of his motorhome he puts patch-out on a stiff nylon brush, runs that through the bore a few times (like 20 or so). He then patches it out with dry patches and finally runs a patch with Lock-Ease.
Obviously he finishes by mopping the chamber, wiping and lubbing the bolt.
I'll check with him today and if there is any difference I'll post it tonight.
Larry Costa

Hi Larry. Thank you for the input.
I forget about mopping the chamber, race way for bolt lugs, and grease for the bolt. The grease is really important. Especially during fire forming. I squirt the lugs for each round.
I buggered up a bolt head. Back in the before times. :rolleyes:

Loc-ease. Local hardware. little bit goes a long way.

Tim B.

Tim,
So you're saying to put the accelerator on a patch or brush that is already soaked with patchout, correct? This would make what I read in the book make sense.

Correct. It's not necessary, just lets it work faster.

Back