Common Benchrest Faults and Fixes

Bart

This article was published Precision Rifleman and it contains info that I believe will help a lot of shooters. I shot a match at River Bend, Ga and worked on several shooters equipment that had these very same problems. Here are some things that may help you with your spring tune up. Everyone I checked with had not read the article in the magazine....go figure.

Bart

Common Benchrest Faults and Fixes

This year I have been working off and on with a few new shooters. While doing so I have noticed some common faults. Once I started checking, I found that many of these problems affect not only the new but also the more experienced shooters as well.

Here are some of the issues that I keep seeing:

Front bag to hard

In general most front bags are packed too hard resulting in unexplained flyers. This year we changed my shooting partner Billy Stevens', front bag to a fluffier front bag like mine. After a few months he said, "You know this front bag doesn't throw shots nearly as consistently as my old one!"

Some bags are packed with too much sand while others have packed down from shooting on them. In my opinion you should have the front bag more on the fluffy side. My front bag is like a marshmallow. The ones I've checked are closer to bricks. So let some sand out and fluff them up. All bags will pack down over time. I make it a point to reach up and squeeze/fluff my front bag each time I set up at the bench. Hall of Fame member Smiley Hensley was getting unexplained shots at the 2013 Super Shoot. Someone suggested fluffing his front bag and there you go! Problem solved!

My personal preference is regular sand, not zircon. The weight and density of zircon tends to pack down too hard too fast.

Guns Too slick

Many shooters spend a lot of time trying to get their guns slick in the bags. Just put two fingers on the gun and pull it back and push it forward. Its as if it's riding on air or roller bearings! Hey guess what? Its not what you want! The problem with this is that gun handling errors are significantly magnified. So if you make a little mistake (such as slightly jerking/slapping your trigger or bumping the gun), it will show up big time on the target.

The worst setup I've seen is shooting an unpainted fiberglass stock with a cordura front and rear bag. This setup is super slick. I've had guns like this and it feels like you can't get near the thing without it moving. Stock tape can help to slow them down as well as providing consistent tension when sliding on the bags.

Proper Front Bag Tension.

This is part of the gun being too slick. One of the first things that Tony Boyer corrected in my set up was having my ears on my front bag too loose. On his range you're shooting slightly up hill. He came over and pulled my rifle back and forth and said."You need to tighten those ears." I was surprised at just how much he cranked the screws down. Tony told me it would cut down on the "finger-vertical" I was getting. Guess what??? He was right. Since that time, I've shot with very firm fore-end tension on my rifles.

Consistency

What I'm talking about here is when your rifle slides back and forth. It should be very consistent and feel the same as you move the gun back and forth. This allows the rifle to break the same everytime when fired. Actually "FIRM and CONSISTENT" is what you're looking for. Some bag set ups are grabby. As you pull the rifle back it catches and break loose, then catches and breaks loose again. Not optimum! Others feel kind of stuck as they first move and then break loose. So if your gun is doing any of this, you need to work on it.

I took Billy Stevens lead and went retro with my bag set up. We started talking about front and rear bags and decided our guns shot better and more consistently twenty years ago. So we have both gone back to leather bags (front and rear) and using baby powder! This gives me a set up that provides consistent and firm tension.

Front Rests

Another very common problem is simply forgetting to tighten things down on your rest. Always check to make sure the feet on you front rests are tightened down. Also check to make sure the center post of your rest is locked down. It's easy to forget and can cost you dearly during a match.

Farley Front Rest

The Farley front rest is probably the most popular front rest in Benchrest. However of the new shooters rests that I have checked most of them were too loose. What I mean by too loose is when you let go of the aiming handle while looking through your scope you can see the crosshairs move.

So, a properly adjusted Farley will move smoothly and stop when I stop. When I let go of the handle, the crosshairs should stay put. If yours isn't doing this, simply loosen the two large nuts and turn the tensioning screws clockwise for increased pressure. It's important that each screw be turned the same amount, and it only takes a small adjustment.

Scope and Rings

This is all very simple stuff, but still often over looked. A loose screw on a scope ring or base can ruin a match or even an entire season! Rifles have been sold and perfectly good bullets and barrels tossed aside because of not diligently checking these things! I had a killer heavy varmint rifle. It shot well enough to win a yardage and grand aggregate at the Super Shoot! It also won my first Hall of Fame point! But it quit shooting! I couldn't figure it out. I tried different barrels, scopes, bullets. I changed out triggers the firing pin springs, nothing helped. Finally, I took off the scope and sat the rifle in the corner. I gave up on it for years. Finally one day durning the winter with nothing to do, I started going through the rifle again. To my surprise I found that one of the screws on the front base was loose. That one little screw caused all this trouble. So check everything. It's the little things that kill us.

Scope Lock Rings

No matters what scope you own it has one or more lock rings that you must pay attention to. Tony Boyer was probably the first to notice that the lock ring for the eye piece on the Leopold competition scopes loves to come loose.

The first thing I check on a rifle if it starts shooting crazy is the objective lock ring (if the scope has one) and the lock ring in front of the eye piece. I can't count the times this year that I found the eye piece lock ring loose on shooters scopes! Just because you tighten it down that doesn't mean it's going to stay that way. At the last match of the year at Brock's Gap I tightened lock rings five times. Twice on one shooter's gun during the same aggregate!

If you don't think the lock ring in front of your eye piece is doing anything, loosen the ring and just push around on the eye piece while looking through the scope. That should make you a believer.

So if it has a screw, tighten it! If it has a lock ring, lock it! If it has a knob twist it!

None of this is rocket science. It's just meat and potatoes common sense. The devil is in the details. In this sport, close isn't good enough. Your equipment has to be at 100 percent in order to compete, and to stay on top of it, you must constantly check it!

Conclusion
Implement the above changes into your set up, and I think you will see an increase in your accuracy and a lot fewer nasty flyers!

So True...

I also had trouble with the back field objective lock ring on a new Leupold 6X Hunter scope that constantly worked loose during a shoot. Figured I had two choices; use "lock tight" or a "O-ring." I slipped a slightly under sized 0-ring over the objective and installed it between the back objective and lock ring and tightened the ring. The 0-ring puts a constant pressure on the objective and prevents it loosening up. End of problem.

I was surprised that this happened since I never had this problem with other Leupold scopes. But I guess others have.

Good luck with yours,
virg

Common Benchrest faults and fixes

so you say the ears are too lose as per Tony Boyers advice,
One question can you still pull straight up on your rifle at the rest , without moving the front rest?
If not you can be disqualified "

Most of what Tony has said though is right on spot.''

Fyi

Bart check my "stuff" to include brass at the River Bend shoot. Although he did not have any negative comments on my setup or brass he did say something about the lack of talent and ability! Jim Casey (one eyed fatman - for real)

Thank you Bart, tell Billy the barrel he put on my 6.5-284 is still "as long as a well rope."

My father and I have been trying to diagnose a problem of his for some time, and the front bag being packed too tight might just be part of the problem.
I would also like to add to the conversation, though it is certainly not my idea originally, the idea of breaking a shot well and being able to see where the cross-hairs are at the moment the shot is broken . This type of thing is probably not even a second thought for those whom have been doing this for a long time, but simply breaking a shot well can be a real challenge to a beginner.

In Tony's book he describes being able to see the bullet go through the moving backer at 100yds. I have found my bullet drift is cut by .25" by being able to break a good shot and watch the crosshairs as the muzzle flash occurs. I can't claim to see the bullet hit the paper, but I am getting close.
It is especially important on benches that are not so sturdy...I know them well.

Mike

Thanks Bart for the article and Thanks for helping us old fat man at River Bend. I am not referring to Jim, just me

I hope so I was just warning a few people about the ears
I've been watching a few people some have the ears so tight that the Rifle has to be slid into the bag.
Combine that with an edge stock and there may be a problem staying n the rules
Be careful guys

Gerry

I see what you're talking about. But most of the guys with a Farley rest have to add extra spacers to the ears just to get firm tension. I've had to use everything from spare change to bottle caps at matches.

Bart

The rest i looked at was a farley and the shooter had the bag formed around the edge stock so that it had to be slid into the bag.
The bag actually formed around the edge stock at the top of the lip .
I was really well shaped and I bet it tracked like a a rail.
He was very fortunate that a Ref didn't see that or he would have been disqualified.
The front bag was quite hard and so was the rear bag.
For those who don't know it probably was ILLegal and way outside of the rest rules.
Bart I'm sure you know better ....

"If you don't think the lock ring in front of your eye piece is doing anything, loosen the ring and just push around on the eye piece while looking through the scope. That should make you a believer."
Actually it does move around a lot, however the dot stays in the same place on the mothball. What you are seeing if you look closely is everything is moving together. Nothing on the eye side of the reticle effects accuracy. The worst thing a loose ocular lens lock ring can cause is the loss of reticle focus. A loose objective lock ring however is a different story!!!!!

Tony

Loosen the lock ring on the rear eye piece and go shoot. Especially on a competiton series. You'll figure it out. I've fixed too many broke guns by tightening that little ring.

Bart

Last edited:
Bart, and anyone else, a question... front bags, and what they fit into have become standardized. What if we started with a blank sheet of paper? Would the ideal front bag look different than what we currently have available? If it would, in what way(s)?

boyd
I have always thought a v shaped front end would have to track well?? center of gravity would be low, and the weight would settle the stock low and tight into the bag. also there would possible be a lot more baring surfaces to guide the stock. Just one long lost thought I have had at one time.

Back