co-axial rest design

T

topshelf

I would like to build a co-axial rifle rest. I have never seen the insides of one of these and have searched high and low on the internet trying to find a drawing of the workings. I'm only interested in the axial part of the rest. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Many THANKS for the help.

Id say youll just about have to have one in your hands and study it. The farley is patented so that may be a good start if not

Please tell me why anybody would give you drawings. Buy a coaxial top and copy it. If you were mechanically inclined you could start from scratch and make a few prototypes and settle on what you like.

My farley rest says " patent pending" on it. It was the second one ever made so i figured it woulda went thru the patent office by now. That was 1998 maybe

I would like to build a co-axial rifle rest. I have never seen the insides of one of these and have searched high and low on the internet trying to find a drawing of the workings. I'm only interested in the axial part of the rest. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Many THANKS for the help.

Topshelf?

How 'bout you just buy one. Then if you're that good.......make it better.

Do the research. Patent it.

Until then, please don't rip off ideas or designs of people that have gone the distance.

Jerry

Last edited:
Excuse me for asking,,,,,,, This rest is for my own personal use and am not interested in copying or stealing anyone's design. My purpose was to see how they work, the axial part of the rest. Frankly, I thought this forum was an avenue to share knowledge and help people improve their skills. For the ones who replied positively , I thank you. I have the skills and machines to make one, so why buy one.

Patents are not an issue if you build it for your own use. I have seen a SEB joy pod and it works like Butch says but you also need springs to counter balance the weight of the gun and they should be adjustable for different guns. The SEB joy pod is an impressive bit of kit and when you pick it up it weighs nothing, worth the money if that is your game, he puts serious effort into weight reduction, art work.

Now Ian,
Don't give up all the secrets! Yes there are bellivelle spring washers, torsion springs, and adjustable tension screws. As I told him, buy one and copy it. You could buy an old joy stick game controller and copy their design.

OK, Here goes. Get 2 spherical bearings, one is in a fixed position and the other on a sliding plate. That is how it works.

Thanks Butch, that description explains everything! LOL!

Even if own-use copys were legal, it would be too much work to make one. IMNTBHO, of course!

Cite, please. :confused:

If you choose, check Farley's patent application. I am pretty sure they have no patent. The joy stick function has been in use many many years in gaming, tractors, mowers, airplanes, and several different shooting rest or tops.
Why would you go to the trouble to defend a patent if in fact there is one? I'm talking shooting rests. A patent could be many things in the rest top design, but probably not the whole thing.
We are approaching the sale of our 800th rest top and I have yet to find a patent when doing a search that would keep anybody from making their own.

If you choose, check Farley's patent application. I am pretty sure they have no patent....
Why would you go to the trouble to defend a patent if in fact there is one?

What does your first comment have to do with my question to a previous poster for a cite to his claim that, "Patents are not an issue if you build it for your own use"?

As for your second comment, it seems to me that anyone who goes to the trouble to get a patent could easily want to "go to the trouble to defend [said] patent."

If Farley doesn't have a patent or the joy stick part of it is not patented, it is not an issue.
Your issue on defending a patent. Have you a clue as to the expense of defending a patent against a guy with a back yard mill and lathe. Even if you won, what would you get? If you took his mill and lathe, you couldn't sell them for enough to pay a fourth of your attorney's fee.
Hunter, all of this aside, nothing has been patented that would keep you from building them.

Hunter, all of this aside, nothing has been patented that would keep you from building them.

I'm not interested in building one; I am only interested in knowing why a previous poster thinks "Patents are not an issue if you build it for your own use."

Back