Cleaning receiver locking lug area

paulie

When you’ve removed the barrel from a receiver that’s glued into a finished ( painted ) stock, what’s the safest way to clean the receiver threads and bolt locking lug area?
I’m trying my best not to mess up the paint job on the stock… so I’m not sure if I want to use a liquid or just a long dry Q-tip.
Appreciate any suggestions.
paul

Air

Since I usually do this at my shop, I just blow it out real good with a air hose.

When changing barrels, that is also a good time to clean the trigger as well. Sometimes we forget that over period of time, crud can acumillate in the trigger. .........jackie

Cleaning

Several of the suppliers sell long wood stick q-tips. I use them dry and wipe the reciever threads clean with them. The bolt lug recesses can be cleaned up with a large patch, I use a short sectioned cleaning rod with a pointed jag with the patch attached. Some use a felt pad attached to a short rod and twist the rod cleaning out the grime.
Bolt lugs can be cleaned with brake cleaner and a paper towel. Barrel threads can be cleaned the same way as bolt lugs.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited:
I have several types of surgical forcepts a Cardiac Care technician gave to me years ago. They were going to dispose of these due to tiny pits which made sterilization uncertain.
Anyway these were of different sizes and either straight jawed or curved. The jaws lock with variable tension.
They are great for reaching into hidden spots in a receiver, and cleaning mag bodies.

I have several types of surgical forcepts a Cardiac Care technician gave to me years ago. They were going to dispose of these due to tiny pits which made sterilization uncertain.
Anyway these were of different sizes and either straight jawed or curved. The jaws lock with variable tension.
They are great for reaching into hidden spots in a receiver, and cleaning mag bodies.

Hey! This is a great idea.... :)

and you can buy forceps for supercheap at harbor freight.

al

old tooth brushes can be heated and bent to fit any place you want to reach. when the barrel is off i take two and tape them back to back with the bristles to the out side and one spin cleans threads. it helps to attach them to a short piece of pvc pipe.

Try taking the barrel and action out of the stock, if you are that fussy. Then you can clean with what ever.

Joe Salt

cleaning receiver loking lug area

RW hart tool that holds dental rolls .
Works great .

OG, I have two

in my chest. The cardiac bone cutter left them in there, but I can't get to them unless I use my bayonet.:eek::D:p

If you are going to use Brake Cleaner..............

you might want to look at the lable to make sure it isn't ammoniated or chlorinated. CRC makes BRAK-LEEN in a green can that doesn't have those chemicals. FORCEPS??? :eek: Don't you mean Hemostats??? Forceps would probably wind up down in your leg. :D:D;)

Ray.
That is a really good idea.

Maybe, I could buy a bunch of tooth brushes. Make "The Ray Tool" Thread Cleaner. And sell them.
Along with my Famous Wind Flags........
Just joking.
At work we make some pretty wild tools......
Now I need to find that piece of PVC I saw in the trash......:)

Back