Cleaning questions

reelxprs

I recently had the opportunity to have a very qualified BR shooter look in my 30BR Krieger barrel with a bore scope. I was informed I had a carbon and powder fouling build up.
Today I have scrubbed the barrel enough to wear out 2 new brass brushes, about 30 patches and a lot of Butches bore shine and Hoppes #9. I am still getting black stuff out of my barrel.
Any suggestions to make this easier would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff Fountain

First of all, if you have a hard carbon problem, none of that will get it out. Secondly, if you want to remove the stuff that will come out with a lot less work, you might try some wipe out (bore cleaning foam) with accelerator . Repeated applications patched out should get everything but the hard carbon, and a nylon brush, filled with IOSSO, and used with care, should take care of that.

I recently had the opportunity to have a very qualified BR shooter look in my 30BR Krieger barrel with a bore scope. I was informed I had a carbon and powder fouling build up.
Today I have scrubbed the barrel enough to wear out 2 new brass brushes, about 30 patches and a lot of Butches bore shine and Hoppes #9. I am still getting black stuff out of my barrel.

Jeff Fountain

First clean with BBS.

Then Spin a slightly oversized brush with J-B bore cleaning compound on its tip in the .010" to .030" area at the end of your neck chamber for about 30 revolutions.

Then work 3 to 5 Tight Fitting patches with J-B back and forth down your entire barrel, spending more time in the area from the end of the chamber to approximately 6 to 8 inches in front of it.

Do this with J-B after every yardage change or after every 50 to 60 rounds.

Clean normally before and after the use of J-B.

J-B always comes out looking black on the patches.

After the final cleaning with Butch's Bore Shine, to rid the barrel of any J-B, your patches will come out looking white.

No need for Hoppe's.

Lately my borescope and I have been much impressed with Blue Wonder bore gel/gun cleaner. I'm not sure how old and bad your fouling is, but the BW works quite well on my barrels which I clean at least after every shooting session--which is the way to make things easier and better in my opinion. I did have an experience like yours with the BW. We used it in a friend's 300 win mag after looking into his barrel with my scope. He had a lot of copper/carbon layers from not cleaning properly or promptly. The BW took that all down to the steel in 2 applications-- you still scrub a bit but not as much as what you mentioned and not as much as using JB.

Cleaning qustions

+1 for Iosso like Boyd said
still you won't know what you have without a borescope. Be sure to flush out all of the iosso after , then a few patch,s with butches followed by a few dry ones.
I use brake parts cleaner to flush the Iosso out,

There is some good advise in this thread, and it all comes down to personal preference. I will say I also use Blue wonder cleaner like amamnn does but I found it works great on Moly coated bullet residue, and will stipe molly out with little work, but I don't use it on my naked bullet guns. There is a few Carbon cleaners out there, I can say I have ever used one, many claim that they work. Wipe out makes a product called Carb out, and it suppose to work. GM TEC was awesome, but they took it off the market, and the replacement is ultra expensive. I been told that Mercury power tune available in marine shops is the same product but it is in an aerosol form.

I do like abintx does and uses JB after each yardage, or 60 or so rounds, or if the patch's feel grabby when I push then down the bore. I think this is the best method. In a badly hard carbon fouled barrel I will take 0000 steel wool and wrap a old worn out brush with it, and coat it wil JB, and stroke the crap out of the barrel. Most time when I clean a barrel I wet the bore wit Butche's and then I run 2 patch's of JB. I burnish it into the barrel. (Short strokes back and forth through out the barrel.) I pay a little special attention to the throat of the bore. I then patch out the JB, and run a wet brush down the barrel, then follow up with 2 more wet patches, and I let that sit for 10 to 15 minutes, and I patch it all out. I also use a 6.5 caliber brush and just get into the neck of the chamber, and turn it around for a few strokes.

If you cant get ahold of JB, I have found that Remington makes a liquid form of the product and it is available at most Wal-Mart's, and it is called "40x bore cleaner." Some say it is more abrasive than JB, and I think that it is not but that it is more concentrated than JB, and a little bit goes a long way. I been told it is the same thing, I don't remember the exact name but it is a type of clay. Ferris Penndel is the developer of this product.

I use a product called Conidial Graphite in my barrels after every cleaning, and I find that it makes the barrel much easier to clean the next time I have to. You can purchase it from Gretan rifles, or use a product available called lock-ez. This is available in NAPA stores, and is already mixed. I find that it works well. Some of the great shooters use this method, and products.

Here is a good article to read, by Speedy Gonzales
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=12950/guntechdetail/Benchrest_Shooting

Jeff Fountain

Here's a bunch from different sources. The theme is the same.

"I personally believe in the use of JB Bore Cleaner... I use it after every yardage. 3 to 5 tight fitting patches with JB will get the powder fouling out... I do a full cleaning before I use JB and also after I use JB, to make certain I've got all the JB out of the barrel. ... Tony Boyer"

Source: The Benchrest Shooting Primer, ON THE TOPIC OF BARRELS, by Tony Boyer, Page 349, upper left.
-----------------------------------
Krieger Barrels Inc,: Q&A

Q: Will a paste-type bore cleaner such as J.B. hurt a barrel during cleaning?

A: No. There is nothing that we can find that shows that it will harm the barrel provided you use a rod guide and refrain from exiting the muzzle.
--------------------------------------

Instructions received from Krieger along with my Krieger barrel: Break-In and Cleaning, Under Cleaning:

"Abrasive cleaners work well. They do not damage the bore, they clean all types of fouling (copper, powder, lead, plastic), and they have the added advantage of of polishing the throat both in 'break in' and later on when the throat begins to roughen again from the rounds fired. One national champion we know polishes the throats on his rifles every several hundred rounds or so with diamond paste to extend their accuracy life."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Dip a patch in the JB container then fold over and rub sides together between finger and thumb till small anount is spread around center of patch. If you get too much on a patch rub 2 patches together

Short stroke down your barrel, scrub big just in front of chamber well. Use a rod stop collar on your rod to keep the felt from existing the muzzle so you can short stroke effectively.

Since JB separates when it gets hot, stick your finger in and stir. Then scrape off as much as possible on the rim of the container. After that, use a patch to wipe off all of the JB that couldn't be scraped off your finger. That's the right amount for cleaning the bore.

J-B® Bore Cleaning Compound can be use with any cleaning solution.

We’ve tried this process, in an old barrel that was pretty badly jacket fouled, and it worked really well. First clean the bore with three or four patches dampened with cleaning solution. Run each patch through the bore eight to ten times, then leave the bore wet with solvent.

Next, wrap a cleaning patch diagonally around a brush, and rub a pea-sized amount of J-B® onto the patch surface. Run the patch through the bore fifteen or twenty times, pull the patch off the brush, and do it over again. The J-B® coated patches will appear to be covered with thin, black grease – that's normal. Finally, after running two or three patches through the bore, clean out the remaining J-B® with solvent on clean patches, then dry patch the bore. If fouling is still visible, repeat the process until the bore is clean.

J-B can be used two ways. Intermediate cleaning is done using a patch embedded with the paste. Preceded by using a good solvent and brushing. It is followed by "washing" the residue out with more solvent wetted patches, followed by dry patches, and finally a lube agent to take away the dryness. Lube agents can be thin gun oils, Kroil, NAPA Lock EEz, or Stan Buchtels colloidal graphite called Graphoil.

The second method of using pastes, and a much more aggressive process, is by using a nylon brush with some paste on the bristles and short-stroking as you scrub down the barrel. Again, precede and follow with solvent, patches and oil.

As to the products, the JB's have been around for some time. If they were harmful we would have already heard about it.

Another great product is Iosso. It comes in a tube and contains a slight amount of copper remover in addition its abrasives. Iosso also makes nylon brushes designed just for the short-stroke cleaning mentioned above.
--------------------------------------------------------------
To maintain accuracy: "Keep the throat clean!"

With fine match barrels, ***"Carbon fouling is the real culprit."***

Most people worry about copper; they should be worrying about carbon. I used "TM" all week at the Super Shoot and it works great on carbon."

How do you find the carbon ring ???

1. Pull a NYLON bore brush back through the bore, from muzzle to breech.
2. You'll feel lots of resistance on the rod when it hits the carbon build-up.
3. That's where you need to scrub with Iosso or JB paste.

NOTE: we do NOT advise reversing a phosphor bronze brush through the bore. And NEVER short-stroke with a tight-fitting bronze brush!

Back