Clean Moly out of barrel

Glen

:confused:Can someone please tell me how to completely clean the moly out of my barrels in order to switch to BN.

Thanks

Since they are both lubricant coatings it it really necessary? As with the moly as you shoot it, it coats the barrel. Some is cleaned out with cleaning but because it gets into the metal pores you don't usually get it all. As you start shooting the BN coated bullets it will probably do the same things. Moly that was left behind will be covered by the BN.

Here is what Terry Brady ...

2005 600-Yard IBS Shooter of the Year had to say about moly removal:
"I use moly and clean every two matches. I don't brush much, and if I do, I normally use nylon brushes."

Since I shoot moly, my cleaning procedure is different than you'd use with naked bullets. I went to moly so I wouldn't have to clean during matches. Now I'll clean every two matches--about every 80 rounds. Here's the procedure: I put a patch of Kroil through the barrel, then wet another patch with Kroil, stroke it pretty good, then I dry patch it. Next I run a couple Montana X-Treme 50 BMG wet patches and I let that set for 5-10 minutes, then dry-patch the 50 BMG out. Then I put a little JB on a dry patch on a jag, and short-stroke about 6-8 inches of the throat area for about a dozen strokes. After that I push another Kroil-wetted patch through again, and then wet/dry patch to remove the JB residue. The last step is to run a patch with Kroil.

This complicated process gets the barrel clean but I've found it may take a dozen or more shots to get the moly back in again so the gun shoots optimally. If somebody has a better/faster way to clean for moly bullets, that doesn't require so many fouling shots, I'm all ears. I generally don't use brushes, but when I do, I'll use nylon brushes (except in rare situations where I really need to attack carbon in the throat). Bill Shehane was the one who suggested I use the nylon. With a nylon brush I will send the brush all the way out the muzzle and draw it back in again. With a fairly loose-fitting nylon brush I can short-stroke the throat area (you can feel it if it's getting rough), but generally that's not necessary, and, as explained above, I can accomplish my cleaning with patches.

Taken from 6mmBR.com. Hope this helps. Art

I shot moly bullets in all my rifles for several years. A couple of years ago, I siwtch to WS2 (Danzac), not because of any problem I'd had, but it just seemed to be a better product.

I shoot VFS matches and go through about 125 rounds for both yardages during a match. When I get home, I run a patch of Accelerator down the barrel and then fill it with Wipe Out. In a couple of hours, I push out the WO and finish with patch of Lock Ease. I recently borescoped the barrel and it showed virtually no wear although it's approaching 2000 rounds.

With my pd rifles, I ran 2-3 applications of WO through until I got no black on the patches. After that I started with WS2. Seems to be working.

YMMV,
Rick

There is a very special grease for performing that operation.

It's called ELBOW GREASE!:eek:

Sorry, I couldn't resist that.

Please don't hate me, but if you do, Oh Well!:D

How to get rid of moly

High explosives, hydrofluoric acid, prolonged cobalt 60 irradiation or a mother's fingernail all work equally well. Tim

Back