Claude Smith has passed

JerrySharrett

Senile Member
Many of you shot with Claude when he ran the Bristol range for many years. Then for about another 10 years pr so Claude shot NBRSA and IBS center fire plus he ran some rimfire matches at Bristol in recent times....he will be missed.

Arrangement details can be found at the Bristol Herald Courier web site. Visitation will be Monday evening at Weaver Funeral Home.

I've been putting off writing in this thread for too long. Claude was a lot like Brady but different in that he wouldn't go to a match without a rifle that he thought could have a chance of winning. Brady, on the other hand, considered going first and when he got there worried about shootin' good. Claude spent a good deal of time working toward the match in Bristol, Virginia. That match was arguably the "best" match in the region but there was no argument that it wasn't the biggest. When Claude quit, the match was no longer held and the region was greatly diminished.

Claude was a good man and a great Benchrest shooter. The last time I saw him was at a convenience store while traveling from Bristol to a rimfire match in Kingsport. I remember that I was running late and didn't have the time to talk much but looking back...I wish that we had talked all day. Claude was a good friend.

I've been putting off writing in this thread for too long. Claude was a lot like Brady but different in that he wouldn't go to a match without a rifle that he thought could have a chance of winning. Brady, on the other hand, considered going first and when he got there worried about shootin' good. Claude spent a good deal of time working toward the match in Bristol, Virginia. That match was arguably the "best" match in the region but there was no argument that it wasn't the biggest. When Claude quit, the match was no longer held and the region was greatly diminished.

Claude was a good man and a great Benchrest shooter. The last time I saw him was at a convenience store while traveling from Bristol to a rimfire match in Kingsport. I remember that I was running late and didn't have the time to talk much but looking back...I wish that we had talked all day. Claude was a good friend.
I think we are all guilty of that Wilbur. In a hurry doing crap, run into a friend and don't have the time to sit and talk. You say to yourself I'll catch up with him later, then something like this happens and you feel guilty. Life sucks sometimes.

Claude Smith

We will miss you ,Claude. A great person and great shooter.. God bless Charlene and the rest of the family.

Only Pic of Claude Smith I could Find

Pictured is Claude Smith and Doc Dodgdon. Picture was taken @ RiverBend (two great guys and friends)

Attachments

• Claude & Doc 001.jpg
    Claude & Doc 001.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Back