Chief City Shooters Double IR 3-Gun 08-04-2024 results

doclu60

Chief City Shooters, just north of Pontiac, IL will host double IR 3-Gun matches on 08-04-2024. First match (double point club tournament) starts at 09:00. Second match (club list match) follows the first match. August is a BIG IR 3-gun points month for Iowa/Illinois with 5 matches between the 3 clubs. 3 of which are Club Tournaments, 1 State match (Iowa yards only), and 1 club list match. For more information check out the IR50/50 website (Chief City Shooters, IL, Oak Hill GC, IA, North Linn F&G, IA) or email me at doclu60@gmail.com

Scott

Last edited:
Light and variable conditions looked good but were a bit tricky at times. While only 4 participants, I want to thank those that helped setup and de-mob the range and the help scoring. Everyone yesterday had at least a 1-1/2hr drive, a couple more than that. The help to get competitors back on the road as quickly as possible is greatly appreciated! Results below.
Our next, and final matches of the 2024 season will be September 1st with a double list match.

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_2945.jpg
    IMG_2945.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
i read on another forum that someone wanted to, I believe it was said, get away from the cookie cutter rifles of the “other” disciplines.
Get a Sporter and join the fun at IR50/50!
That choice will put a smile on your face!!!!
Jerry

i read on another forum that someone wanted to, I believe it was said, get away from the cookie cutter rifles of the “other” disciplines.
Get a Sporter and join the fun at IR50/50!
That choice will put a smile on your face!!!!
Jerry
One of these days I'll get a modern sporter and there's not sanctioned IR50/50 match anywhere near me. I just want the fun and pride of owning and shooting one

Pat
Everyone should read Tony’s treatise on Sporters on this forum! It’s describes the fun of shooting one Perfectly. I would rather go to a IR match than a ARA match at this point in my life, it’s that much more enjoyable Even my 73 yr old eyes can do it with a 6x scope!
Jerry

Pat
Everyone should read Tony’s treatise on Sporters on this forum! It’s describes the fun of shooting one Perfectly. I would rather go to a IR match than a ARA match at this point in my life, it’s that much more enjoyable Even my 73 yr old eyes can do it with a 6x scope!
Jerry
I've read it a couple times

Yep, they are very cool rifles. They also take some dedication to learn how to shoot them competitively, which is where the draw to them is. I shoot my heavy class and UL rifles outside of competition to test and tune, but not to practice. I do shoot my Sporters practicing though. 3" flat forearm heavy rifles with gobs of scope horsepower are fairly easy to shoot well, but a Sporter is a whole different animal, a very 'needy' animal for that matter. When you shoot the Sporter in 3-Gun, it comprises 33-1/3% of your score but takes way more than 33-1/3% of dedication to get the scores you need to win or place high.

I still shoot some ARA matches, but IR 3-Gun is my primary focus because of the Sporter. Glad this thread turned into something other than 'who won what' at XY club over the weekend. Thanks to all who posted!

Scott

While interested in a sporter Rifle. I’ve had enough trying to keep an UL Rifle in ammo and shooting. I actually can shoot myself silly between ARA, IR 50/50 and ABRA. Some times can do 3 matches a month without leaving a 3hr circle. More if you want to travel further. I honestly can not afford to shoot much more than I do.
Not next year but maybe the year after I will look into a sporter Rifle. Truthfully if I had, well if I could afford the ammo I would have shot quite a few more matches this year.
Understand this is me and my situation.

Frank, while I understand your dilemma, I will say this. If choosing your ammo lots carefully, you will most likely find that the same lots will shoot over several rifles. I routinely shoot the same ammo lots in both my Sporter and heavy guns and do okay with them. Also, being in SW PA, you have several ranges that shoot IR fairly close.

I have purchased 4 IR Sporters since May of 2023. I kept one and sold the other three. Two went to new IR shooters, the other went to an experienced shooter, but she lives in Australia and that's where that rifle lives now. They are out there, and many are very reasonably priced. If you dive in, try to find one for sale that already has a scope on it that makes weight. Light weight scopes that meet the power restriction and have the reticle and turrets BR shooters want are not always easy to find. Sporters are built with the scope weight included and if the original scope is no longer with the rifle, it can be difficult finding a replacement that will make weight. Example: I just sold a V-1 Turbo Sporter I bought used in April. It has a Leupold M8-6X Compact on it. It was built with that scope, which weighs less than 12ozs. My backup Sporter was built with a scope that weighs 17.4ozs. That scope would not work on the Turbo I sold, and getting almost 5-1/2ozs off of an existing Sporter is pretty darn difficult, if not impossible.

Scott

Back