Check this out for barrel work

That's a pretty machine, but.............

The bed is too short to work between centers, there is no steady rest, and there is no mention of a taper attachment. I wouldn't be able to use it for barrel work in my shop.

Bill Jacobs

That's a pretty machine, but.............

The bed is too short to work between centers, there is no steady rest, and there is no mention of a taper attachment. I wouldn't be able to use it for barrel work in my shop.

Bill Jacobs

Most, not all, but most benchrest gonsmiths use a lathe to chamber, thread, and crown barrels. Most barrel makers offer barrels that are already tapered. A few, Bartline, I know, offer custom tapers outside the normal tapers.

As a guess, this lathe probably came out of a trade school, or the like and the chucks shown were not part of the original factory shipment package. I say this as being involved in many surplus sales from educational facilities.

Most, not all, but most benchrest gonsmiths use a lathe to chamber, thread, and crown barrels. Most barrel makers offer barrels that are already tapered. A few, Bartline, I know, offer custom tapers outside the normal tapers.

As a guess, this lathe probably came out of a trade school, or the like and the chucks shown were not part of the original factory shipment package. I say this as being involved in many surplus sales from educational facilities.

Quite right, and my statement was confusing. I don't use a taper attachment to taper barrels very often -- darn seldom, in fact! I do use it to taper muzzle brakes, make tools for ironing dents out of shotgun barrels, etc. My machine, a South Bend 13" was a school machine in its former life:)

Bill Jacobs

I just gave one away

I had a short bench top model made in 1943 with more tooling that this one . Sold it for $1800 and thought I had done well :(. I never look back though. Probably for what it was, I did OK. I guess when something sells in 4 hours, one didn't ask enough for it though. Paid $600. for it in 1969 or so.

Pete

Back