cheap action for BAT threaded barrel

lrgoodger

I have an old Kreiger 6 PPC barrel threaded for a BAT action that I want to turn into a varmint rifle. The barrel is beyond its useful life for competition, but should be plenty accurate enough for varmints. Who makes a good action that will fit this barrel without costing an arm and a leg? I don't want to invest in a BAT action for varmint hunting. It is a 1.0625 thread diameter with 18 TPI. Am I correct in thinking that Sako actions use that thread?

SAKO won't work

Unless SAKO has changed recently, they use a 1.046 X 16 thread. Earlier models used a 1.000 " tenon. Good shooting.... James

I think that most custom actions use 18 TPI because "Nobody is going to put a stinking Remington barrel on one of my actions". That is a direct quote from one action maker that I know.

Most of the Remington clone custom actions have 16 tpi threads. The Borden Alpine ($925) has a 18 tpi thread. It's not much different in cost though than a Bat SV action. You could go with a Winchester 70 action as it has a 1" barrel shank and 16 tpi. You'd have the expense of turning down the barrel shank and rethreading. The simplest would be to use a Bat SV action as the shank length and pitch are probably the same as what you have. The Bat SV lists at $975 now on Bat's web site.

Take-off

Agree.... With the guys above...

Two thoughts on take off Benchrest barrels...

If.. You get these take off barrels fairly often AND they are truly low round competition I.E. < 1000 rounds, preferably <800. Then I agree with Mike about just building a varmint rifle on a new or used Bat SV action. Worth it then because you can depend on yearly available fully chambered barrels that SHOOT and will wack vermin/punch little holes.

If.... You only have this one barrel and or really have no accessability to a yearly supply of take off barrels and OR this barrel or future take off barrels are way shot out >1500 pretty fire checked. Prob only capable of .250's... >2000+ just DONE! Long heavy fire checking and coppering, only capable of .300 on a good day but most likely .499 or worse..... Guess still ok for vermin.

If the latter is more what your looking at then just scrap using the existing tenon... Find a competent Rifle smith as close to you as possiable and for around 150.00 - 200.00 you have this barrel on your varmint rig. That is if no additional work is required... Only fitting the barrel.
Yes you loose the length of the tenon which shortens the barrel overall but NOW your pretty good, you have fresher cleaner throat and many take off barrels rechambered will SHOOT damn good for at least 800rds and fer vermin, you should see >1000rds easily.

Good luck, think hard about your expenses, it's gonna cost ya $$$ no matter what. Save those coins and just buy a new tube and have a good smith put it on you fav varmint gun.... Make it a tad long and once you got 1500 rds, have it set back the length of the tenon and your good for another 1000 -1500 rds.....

cale

Looking for a Remington clone with 18 thread. Check out the new Atlas action by Kelbly's. kelbly.com is web address, you'll love the price and features.

Jim

Jim
Kelbly.com is a beautiful website, but I must be blind. can you please tell me where the information on the Atlas action is located ?

The only info I have ever seen on it was here and the photos no longer work for some reason.

Dick

Back