chambering question

I have been reading posts about chambering, most guys use a floating reamer holder,has anyone ever tried a tapping head to run the reamer, seems as though it would give great control with the clutch, also it floats?

I have been reading posts about chambering, most guys use a floating reamer holder,has anyone ever tried a tapping head to run the reamer, seems as though it would give great control with the clutch, also it floats?

If you are talking about a conventional tapping head, those heads reverse rotation when their axis pressure changes directions. eg A tapping head is designed to be the rotating axis, when positive pressure is applied to the tool (tap) the rotation is normal with the spindle it is rotated by, when the pressure is reversed, the tapping head reverses rotation even though its spindle driver is still rotating in the forward direction.
Trying to reverse rotation direction on a reamer is not good...not good at all.

Many of these so-called floating reamer holders will get you in trouble also.

Thanks for setting me strait Jerry,I can see how that would be bad for the reamer. I was tapping some threads and just loved how the tap moved to the center of the hole. Maybe my mind is working overtime. Thanks again Bob

Back