Chamber defect on new rifle

feffer

Just visited my brother. He purchased a new Savage (model 12, I think) 300 WSM from an on-line dealer. It looked fine when he picked it up so he signed the transfer papers. After we fired it, the cases showed an odd defect: the shoulder had indentations that ran all the way around. They were oriented the same direction as the body of the case but slightly at an angle (maybe 5 degrees prox). I have seen very light tool marks on some chambers but they run around the case and are mostly cosmetic. These were different; deeper and oriented differently...something I've never seen before. Clearly not just a cosmetic problem, but an unacceptable chamber on a new gun. Since he had signed the transfer papers, the dealer would not exchange the gun, but gave us a number to call at Savage. I assume Savage will stand behind their gun. Some of you have probably had to deal with a gun manufacturer for a warranty issue, so I have a few questions.

Since it is not really a new sale, does the gun still have to be sent to Savage thru a local FFL dealer? He wants either a new gun (same caliber/style) in exchange or lacking that, his money back. He does not want them to repair that gun and return it (it had a few other minor problems: one of the scope mount screw holes was tapped incorrectly). After he sends the gun to Savage, and they verify the defect, should they replace it and cover the shipping costs?

Just so no one thinks this is a reloading issue, or maybe "gunk" in the chamber. We used a brass chamber brush to make sure the chamber was clean and we had the same issue with commercial cases and reloads. BTW, the marks are the same from case to case.

What could cause this sort of defect? Are Savage barrels hammer-forged? How does that process work...is the mandrel just for the bore/caliber/twist etc or is the chamber and leade in the mandrel too? I assume not, and that the barrels are chambered after hammer forging, but I don't really know. Has anyone else ever seen this on a new gun? Isn't every new gun proof fired? I would have thought that the defect would have been caught before going "out the door."

Ffl

I am a FFL in Indiana, you can send a gun thru US mail or fedex ups to get it repaired by manufacturer. The only limitation is the gun can only be sent to you at the return address. So let us say you moved they could not send directly to you and a transfer would be needed.
Bill

Just visited my brother. He purchased a new Savage (model 12, I think) 300 WSM from an on-line dealer. It looked fine when he picked it up so he signed the transfer papers. After we fired it, the cases showed an odd defect: the shoulder had indentations that ran all the way around. They were oriented the same direction as the body of the case but slightly at an angle (maybe 5 degrees prox). I have seen very light tool marks on some chambers but they run around the case and are mostly cosmetic. These were different; deeper and oriented differently...something I've never seen before. Clearly not just a cosmetic problem, but an unacceptable chamber on a new gun. Since he had signed the transfer papers, the dealer would not exchange the gun, but gave us a number to call at Savage. I assume Savage will stand behind their gun. Some of you have probably had to deal with a gun manufacturer for a warranty issue, so I have a few questions.

Since it is not really a new sale, does the gun still have to be sent to Savage thru a local FFL dealer? He wants either a new gun (same caliber/style) in exchange or lacking that, his money back. He does not want them to repair that gun and return it (it had a few other minor problems: one of the scope mount screw holes was tapped incorrectly). After he sends the gun to Savage, and they verify the defect, should they replace it and cover the shipping costs?

Just so no one thinks this is a reloading issue, or maybe "gunk" in the chamber. We used a brass chamber brush to make sure the chamber was clean and we had the same issue with commercial cases and reloads. BTW, the marks are the same from case to case.

What could cause this sort of defect? Are Savage barrels hammer-forged? How does that process work...is the mandrel just for the bore/caliber/twist etc or is the chamber and leade in the mandrel too? I assume not, and that the barrels are chambered after hammer forging, but I don't really know. Has anyone else ever seen this on a new gun? Isn't every new gun proof fired? I would have thought that the defect would have been caught before going "out the door."

The defect was probably caused by the rough reaming stage or an incomplete finishing reaming stage. I would call Savage and follow their instructions. Don't mention the FFL shipping it. Ask them if you can box it up and send it. If you can they will tell you what to send with the gun. I have done this with Ruger and Remington. It was a simple mail-in with UPS with history and demographics note wrapped around the gun . I never mentioned that it was a used rifle in Ruger's case and they did not ask. They should read the note and fix everthing free. You can't demand a new rifle unless they will give you one without the warrantee. If they can't finish the reaming job right, they will replace the barrel. As far as the test fire is concerned, it is my understanding that guns have to be test fired. The shells ejected and were not picked up and examined.

They spit guns out by the millions. You reckon it was test fired? I know if its destined for certain states it has to include a piece of brass to donate to the police but i dont think they have to test fire all of em. And if they did would that $10/hr sweatshop employee examine the brass at all?

Thx all, my brother called Savage and arranged to send it back. I think "4 Liberty" probably got the reason right. It's the only thing that I can imagine that explains it: the roughing reamer was run in to the proper length, but the finishing reamer must have stopped just short leaving the rough marks on the shoulder but not on any of the straight sections of the chamber. In any case, I'm sure Savage will take care of it.

My brother was also a bit surprised that the (new) gun came without screw plugs in the scope mount holes. Either it was a mistake, or now since almost all rifles get scopes, they just stopped bothering?

Back