Case Prep Lathe Choice

E

ehkempf

I am thinking of getting a case prep lathe to help in neck turning, de-burring and chamfering. Two that have caught my interest are the Benchrite and Sinclair Power Center. Do any of you have any experience with either of the two or are their better choices?

Thanks,

Ed

I see that some shooters are now buying new and used mini metal lathes for reloading and I guess they figure they can do other work on it also.

I see that some shooters are now buying new and used mini metal lathes for reloading and I guess they figure they can do other work on it also.

And once you buy the mini lathe, you will have to spend at least the same amount for tooling.

Dan

You can get him as PBike over on 6mmBR.com .

I have one. Use it with a Pumpkin. I'm pretty happy with it.

Greg J

Tooling can be bought on a as needed basis or when you have the money. Mini lathe tooling cost less money than big lathe tooling other than gauges and indicating tools. Most reloaders already have indicators calipers, mikes, drill bits, etc. Just turning diameters to a specific size and facing things off plus the reloading chores that can be done on a mini lathe possibly makes it worth it, it may just pay for itself in a few years. If a guy already has his mind made up and don't really want to mess with a mini lathe then get the motor.

I've been using our old Atlas lathe for years to do case prep work. It's handy to be able to toss a VLD-style chamfering cutter in the 3-jaw and run recently FL sized cases over it quickly to check for nicks & burrs. Dittos for PP uniforming, flash hole deburring, etc. I've got a couple of larger, heavy lathes to do barrel work on, but also use the Atlas to spin bbls (before parting off & crowning the muzzle) while polishing with scotchbrite pads.

I did modify the Atlas' compound to accept a Phase II QC tool holder, but it's still a little too flexible to take any heavy cuts. Whatever, it's still an asset to have in the shop; I'd hate to try to get along without it. I've seen these old Sears & Atlas lathes on e-bay for less than some of the newer micro machines.

I have been using a Sinclair Power Center for four years. I have been very happy with it once I got past the price. I have used it to turn several hundred 6ppc and 30BR necks with K&M and Nielson turners. I also use it to uniform primer pockets, to clean necks inside and out, and to chamfer and debur case mouths. It is very well built.

Dennis Newcomer

You'll like the precise control and compact size of our MicroLux Micro Lathe. This table top machine tool is perfect for someone who wants a durable, well-designed lathe that fits in a small location. It is so sturdily constructed and smooth running, it can put fine finishes on turnings up to 6 inches diameter* and 10 inches long, yet is compact enough (just 64 pounds) to be truly portable. The MicroLux Micro Lathe cuts all metals, including carbon steel, stainless steel, cast iron, copper, nickel-silver, brass and aluminum, plus non-metals, such as wood and plastic. And, the optional milling attachments and machining accessories (shown below) let you perform all the tasks you need to complete your project.

*nominal

Splain nominal to me in this instance.

I'd like an explanation for this term as well - in the context of how it's used here.

I'm not running down anybody's stuff but to pay $400 for a motor w/ some shafts and a chuck compared to $400 for a small metal lathe or an older 2nd hand metal lathe (maybe even w/ extra tooling) just seems crazy but thats just the way I look at things, which isn't necesarily right for some people, which I completely understand. I just thought I'd throw the lathe in there as an alternative. I wonder if a popular reloading outfit marketed a small metal lathe w/ attachments or tooling to reload with if it would sell? I'd bet it would and everybody would say how great it was. You know it's gonna happen.

I have to agree with Dan, If you can find a used lathe that is the way to go. I had 3 southbends one was a small 9 inch that I picked up for 250$ No gear box also had a 9 a with gearbox that I picked up for 600$ Now I have a heavy 10 that is in good shape. They would all turn case necks better then any hand turner you can buy! And they can also do other things Just turn down a grane 8 bolt and push the case on , one pass pull it off and push on another , cannot even see any runout with a dial! And they can be used for so many other chores They can be found on e bay or Craigslist at great prices

Nominal would not be acceptable to me in BR rifle parlance.
I need to only look as far as a "nominal" 2X4

That was a good reed Jackie, the same way I do it, However you stated that hand turners do the same thing. I have several friends that use hand turners , and when we test them on the mandril they are allways a bit out Thanks for the info

Back