Case Failure Rem 700 - Need Opinions

davejones

I've got most of it out, but the outer base of the case is "welded" into the bolt face flush with the front of the bolt. I've dremeled as close as I care to go. Going to put the bolt in the freezer overnight, then try heating the brass.

How much heat can I can I apply to the brass that's still left in the boltface?

I've been told that the bolt body is welded/brazed to the bolt head. I have some 725 degree Tempilac, need to know if that's too hot.

Thanks,
davejones

725* shouldn't cause any problems with the silver solder but it will start to anneal the bolt head to some extent. IMO skimming it in a lathe would be the best way to go.

The Rem bolt head is copper brazed to the bolt body at about 2000° F. Then the bolt assembly is heat- treated. The tempering temp is approx. 900° F . (based on the hardness of the finished bolt) So, heating up to 900° will have no effect on the bolt hardness.

RWO

A lathe would be the best way but even the casehead may spin. I'd bet you've enlarged the bolt nose and will either need a new bolt or an after market extractor installed.

Dave

I had one like that in my shop a while back. The fellow fired a .308 round in a .270 chamber. Fortunately for him it was an unaltered bolt. The pressure caused the bolt nose to swell up and fill the barrel counter bore. The only way I was able to get the bolt out was to remove the barrel. Removed the case head by using a small boring bar in the lathe. Took a few LIGHT cuts untill what was left fell out. Took a light skim cut on the bolt nose O.D. installed a new extractor and ejector spring and all was well.

Don't forget a new aftermarket bolt and/or a Savage bolt head conversion in the event your bolt is not usable.

Don

Back