Cartridge for 100/300 meters VFS

molinari

Dear fellow shooters,
I am planning to attend a shooting competition here in Germany, which is similar to the VFS shootings in the US. Distances are 100 and 300 meters.
Which cartridge would you recommend for this special purpose? It should be a .30 caliber - but which one?
I have been shooting a .308 with some success in other competitions using a bipod, but I find it hard to master from rest and bags. Other than that, it seems to be a bit too much cartridge for that purpose, as 300 meters is the farthest distance I plan to shoot at.
The 30 BR should be the obvious choice. Yet, some friends who have switched to that cartridge, made quite mixed experience, especially at 300 meters. This may be due to the fact that the good 30caliber custom bullets such as BIB, Cheeks, and others in the 112-118 grains range are hard to come by in this country, and if you do get them, they cost a hell of money. Same for Bergers. We have mostly to rely on 125 and 135 grains Sierras, and Noslers.
Now, my gunsmith mentioned another caliber - the 30x47 Lapua, which is often used in Hunter Benchrest competition. Could this be an alternative, or is it a too close match with the .308? What twist, bullet weight, and powder would you recommend? Or, would you choose a different cartridge?
Thank you for your comments.
Good shooting,
Peter

If the problem is the bullets, in my opinion changing to a different chambering isn't going to help. They all need good bullets to shoot accurately. Perhaps getting some dies from Mr. Robinette and making good bullets is the answer.

Given your limitations, I would just build a regular 308, and design it around a twist to shoot 125 grn bullets. I would bet a 1-17 would be perfect.

Lapua 308 brass is so good, I would not even worry about a tight neck. Order a minimum spec chamber reamer with a minimum free bore so you will have no problem getting the bullet on the lands.

If you have good access to VV powder, N135 would be a good choice.

Given your limitations, I would just build a regular 308, and design it around a twist to shoot 125 grn bullets. I would bet a 1-17 would be perfect.

Lapua 308 brass is so good, I would not even worry about a tight neck. Order a minimum spec chamber reamer with a minimum free bore so you will have no problem getting the bullet on the lands.

If you have good access to VV powder, N135 would be a good choice.

Thanks for the comments. I think it would be wise to follow this recommendation, as powder and shells are readily available. VV N135 and 125 grs-bullets is indeed a proven choice. I already use this combination in my light gun (weight 14 lbs overall, including bipod) with a 12'' twist, and have had good success with a very moderate load at 100 m. At 300 m, this load shows considerable vertical spread, maybe, I should add some powder. A slower twist should be even better. The new project will be a bench gun, weight around 18 lbs.
On the other hand, I sometimes like to try something new, and there must be a reason why the HBRV-shooters prefer the 30x47 over the .308.
I do not dare to make bullets - heaven knows, where they would hit at ...
Peter

With a full size 308 case and lite bullets...125/135 consider n140 also. works very well.

IMHO 30x47L is outstanding for a 30 cal cartridge out to 300m I shoot it in Groundhog matches out to 400 and even 500yds Same bullets, powder, and barrels, I use for 30BR. Just a little bit more velocity for the longer range. The plane Jane 30BR is really quite good too but obviously 300m is not it's forte.

quote: The plane Jane 30BR is really quite good too but obviously 300m is not it's forte.
That is exactly what I suspected when I looked at my friends' results with their 30 BRs. At 100 m most of them had very good results whereas the 300 m targets were often so-so. I think the extra power of the 30x47L will pay off at this distance. So I'll have to decide whether to think rational and stay with the proven .308 and have the advantage of not being forced to buy new reloading stuff, or to switch to the - for me - "dark horse" 30x47L. Ok, that would mean to buy new brass, and dies, but this could be worth the fun and thrill shooting and evaluating a new cartridge ... Where can I find good loads for the 30x47L?
Thank you for all comments.
Peter

It should be a .30 caliber - but which one?

Two reasons for shooting a 30 at these distances , besides if the rules specify 30 cal are.

1. In best edge scoring 30 cal has a distinct advantage.

2. I can frequently see a 30 cal hole at 300 when a 6mm is not visible. It is worth a lot to me to see my bullet holes.

Would much rather shoot a 6ppc with really good bullets, than a 30cal with "hunting" bullets. Especially at 300 meters! 6mm match quality bullets are availiable, and much nicer priced than the 30 cal.

read the original post.

Would much rather shoot a 6ppc with really good bullets, than a 30cal with "hunting" bullets. Especially at 300 meters! 6mm match quality bullets are availiable, and much nicer priced than the 30 cal.

Would much rather shoot a 6ppc with really good bullets, than a 30cal with "hunting" bullets.

That is not the subject of this thread , the question was "It should be a .30 caliber - but which one?"

However since people seem to insist on saying what would be most accurate at 300m, period. I would opt for a 6 BR Norma shooting one of the many fine 100-115 gr VLD bullets available. It all depends on the game you are shooting.

There is a very simple reason for me to want a cal .30. This special competition is run at 100 m and 300 m. It is also divided into two sub-categories, caliberwise - one for guns up to and including 7mm caliber, the second one for calibers larger than 7mm. I already own a fine 6PPC (1st category, under 7mm caliber). Now, I want to attend the other competition in the class for larger calibers, too.
Peter

Back