Carry Case for BR Rifle

Tom Berridge

Being new to this Benchrest game I need to know what you guys cart your guns in going too the range or a meet. I now have two guns that do not fit in regular cases and need to know some makes and models of the gun cases you use.I did buy a Plano Air Guide and modified it to work with the 3'' wide forend.Any info will be appreciated. Thanks............Tom

Folks use just about everything available that will hold a BR rifle. Anything up from a regular old "wide" gun case is safer if you don't think about it much but more trouble to haul. You can put a regular gun case anywhere it will fit but more exotic cases often need a place all their own. The wide, regular gun case will get you by just fine unless you're one of those guys that need something special. I don't mean anything by that but didn't have a better way to express the thought. Actually, I like looking at those fancy rifle cases but had one and it wasn't me....wish it was!

Tom, I've been using one of those Plano cases for about seven years now, I like the way it supports the rifle in an upright position, with no contact or pressure on the scope.

Dick

I have 2 ziegel cases that hold 2 br rifles side by side. The floor of it is molded to fit a br stock, and holds em vertically. Looks like a big box. You may be familiar with ziegel if so you know its a fine, fine piece. Its a special order case not in their catalog but they are very familiar with em when you call. Just tell em you want the side by side 3" wide flat forend br case

I have two of the air glide cases. They do take up a lot of room compared to soft cases. They also fall over easily if you don't pack stuff around them. If I'm driving my F-250, that's not a problem. But if I drive my Escape to escape the high cost of diesel, it is a problem.

The SKB's

look nice except for the latches on them. Those latches look like they would snag on about everything. I mostly use the Air Glides although my favorite is an old two gun side by side made by Plano, I think. The paper tag on the bottom says it's a Field Locker double. Pretty sleek and the latches are well out of the way. I wonder why companies stop making good products? The replacement for that model SUCKS, IMHO.

Pete

Last edited:
Tom. If I were u I would go out and buy a Pelican case. I think they are one of the best cases that u can purchase. I have 2 Pelican 1750's that are made to hold one scoped rifle, but they make cases to hold 2. They are built like a tank. I own 2 Plano Air Glide cases but I did not purchase them. They came with 2 used BR rifles that I purchased on line. I would not purchase one of these if I had a choice. To me they are barely adequate. They are cheap and cheaply made. They will do the job if you go from point A to B without anything going wrong, but in my case, I had a major accident on the way back from a Maine State score shoot on May 24th of this year. I had a Ford Ranger with a Leer hi-rise cap on the back. I must of blacked out and went off they road at 60 mph. I hit 2 trees head on and a telephone pole then flipped on the drives side of my pick-up. I woke up and realized that I was on my side sliding and waiting for the truck to stop. The truck was totaled. The case got pretty banged up because it was in the back of the bed and so did my Seb rest which also was in a Pelican case. Both rifle, scope and rest survived without any damage. If my rifle and scope were in one of those Plano air-glide case, I'd bet the farm that there would be some sort of damage to the rifle or the scope or both. I spent $3700.00 for that rifle used and another $2800.00 for the scope. The rest was $1150.00. With that kind of investment, it's really dumb not to spend the extra money for a good case. You always think that it's not going to happen to u, always the other guy. Well it happened to me and I'm glad I had those 2 cases protecting my equipment.

Last edited:
A plano case is good for carrying a gun to the house from the shop especially those that strap the gun in vertical and take up as much room as 2 cases. I say its good for that- only if you dont drop it in the grass

Bad Crash

Tom. If I were u I would go out and buy a Pelican case. I think they are one of the best cases that u can purchase. I have 2 Pelican 1750's that are made to hold one scoped rifle, but they make cases to hold 2. They are built like a tank. I own 2 Plano Air Glide cases but I did not purchase them. They came with 2 used BR rifles that I purchased on line. I would not purchase one of these if I had a choice. To me they are barely adequate. They are cheap and cheaply made. They will do the job if you go from point A to B without anything going wrong, but in my case, I had a major accident on the way back from a Maine State score shoot on May 24th of this year. I had a Ford Ranger with a Leer hi-rise cap on the back. I must of blacked out and went off they road at 60 mph. I hit 2 trees head on and a telephone pole then flipped on the drives side of my pick-up. I woke up and realized that I was on my side sliding and waiting for the truck to stop. The truck was totaled. The case got pretty banged up because it was in the back of the bed and so did my Seb rest which also was in a Pelican case. Both rifle, scope and rest survived without any damage. If my rifle and scope were in one of those Plano air-glide case, I'd bet the farm that there would be some sort of damage to the rifle or the scope or both. I spent $3700.00 for that rifle used and another $2800.00 for the scope. The rest was $1150.00. With that kind of investment, it's really dumb not to spend the extra money for a good case. You always think that it's not going to happen to u, always the other guy. Well it happened to me and I'm glad I had those 2 cases protecting my equipment.

That Ford Ranger Truck deserves some credit for saving the driver. You can always buy more equipment. I would send this post to Ford Motor Company and Pelican.

Glenn

I have a cusom built

slide in unit in the rear of my Town & Country which accommodates two of the Air Glide units, one on each side of my pop-up, as well as all my other shooting stuff. They never move once they are put in there. It's interesting that so many people use things that are absolutely useless, isn't it?

Pete

Back