Can't remember

shinny

Shinny
I recall reading sometime ago a piece on tuning tips, however, can't find it again.

It indicated that vertical & horizontal can be tuned out by:
Seating Depth, .....Neck Tension,..... Charge.

However, I can't recall what is what and in what order to proceed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I remember correctly, there has been some discussion that suggested that if one tunes to a point of zero vertical, one of the probable results may be a significant increase in sensitivity to shot to shot variations in the wind, producing flat "weather report" groups. I believe that it is for that reason that Mr. Boyer has said that he tunes to leave a little vertical in his groups, if my memory serves, a half bullet at 100, and a bullet at 200. Someone correct me if I got this wrong.

OK, if this is true, that Mr Boyer builds in 120 thou of vertical right from the get-go, then this load's not gonna' win a lot of small group awards..... that's almost a tenth and a half inherent to the load.

Now Tony shoots for the aggregate score on any given day but IMO it serves him short shrift to state that he "tunes for a tenth in of vertical" all the time.

al

Verticle?

Shinny,
I know that Allie Euber alway's tries to tune with a little verticle and Tony has told me the same thing, A .150 verticle will flatten out with a cross wind.Most two gun's will average out around a .250 agg so .150 verticle will not kill you in the average.

Shinny,
I know that Allie Euber alway's tries to tune with a little verticle and Tony has told me the same thing, A .150 verticle will flatten out with a cross wind.Most two gun's will average out around a .250 agg so .150 verticle will not kill you in the average.

Scotty will not toot his own horn but he makes a lot of nice benchrest goodies.

OK, if this is true, that Mr Boyer builds in 120 thou of vertical right from the get-go, then this load's not gonna' win a lot of small group awards..... that's almost a tenth and a half inherent to the load.

Now Tony shoots for the aggregate score on any given day but IMO it serves him short shrift to state that he "tunes for a tenth in of vertical" all the time.

al
H'mmm I have been given that same advice by three Hall of Fame shooters and two Super Shoot winners but now I guess I will have to ignore it. A tenth of verticle beats 3 tenths of horizonal anytime.

How many times have you stood at the "wailing wall" and seen shooters stairing at a straight accross "catepiller" saying "at least it's in tune"

Well, guess what, it ain't. What you have is that dreaded "horizonal tune" that makes it just about impossible to read the wind.

It can really kill you in Score Shooting. Any little twich that you can't even see will tag a bullet hole to the aim point. It's hard to be competitive having to endure that.

I try to avoid it, I have been known to turn the tuner to induce a tad of verticle, especially at 200 yards, rather than shooting those 1'' straight accross catepillers that seem so common......jackie

Back