Buying and selling online?

feffer

Years ago, I was a very active shooter, but laid off for over ten years. I live in Northern CA and gun laws have changed a lot. Also, the largest gun shops have all closed...too much hassle with local towns and cities. I'm considering selling some of my guns and maybe buying a few others.

I have fewer options to buy and sell now. I could go to a larger gun shop distant from my area, but still in CA; I could go to one of the local Gun Shows; I could buy/sell with someone locally who has an FFL and does consignments; I could buy online and have the gun sent to a local FFL dealer; or maybe something else?

What's the best way to do this? My brother (in another State) buys online, but only new factory built guns. Doing used guns online (buying or selling) seems a bit chancy. Once you get the gun and sign the FFL paperwork, the gun is basically yours. It may look OK, but still have a serious defect. This recently happened to my brother, but in that case, the new gun was under factory warranty even though the dealer wouldn't help.

Being in cali you better talk to a cali expert. Boyd allen on here or go to a shop. Ca laws are so far different most people in the other 49 wont even consider even shipping a magazine there due to ignorance of the laws

you will find that selling from ca is a serious pain in the butt as is buying from outside the state.

lots of dealers will not deal with the restrictive ca laws.

Gee guys...you're not cheering me up :(
Ignore the BS you hear about how hard it is. It's really quite simple. Many, many gunsmiths and gun shops ship to CA. every day. It requires nothing more than a simple form to acquire a shipment approval number.

Years ago, I was a very active shooter, but laid off for over ten years. I live in Northern CA and gun laws have changed a lot. Also, the largest gun shops have all closed...too much hassle with local towns and cities. I'm considering selling some of my guns and maybe buying a few others.

I have fewer options to buy and sell now. I could go to a larger gun shop distant from my area, but still in CA; I could go to one of the local Gun Shows; I could buy/sell with someone locally who has an FFL and does consignments; I could buy online and have the gun sent to a local FFL dealer; or maybe something else?

What's the best way to do this? My brother (in another State) buys online, but only new factory built guns. Doing used guns online (buying or selling) seems a bit chancy. Once you get the gun and sign the FFL paperwork, the gun is basically yours. It may look OK, but still have a serious defect. This recently happened to my brother, but in that case, the new gun was under factory warranty even though the dealer wouldn't help.

Importing guns into california for retail sale (that's what the DOJ calls it) is not a big deal as long as the gun is on the 'approved' list. Recent laws closed some of the loopholes that permitted the purchase of off list guns.

Find a reputable FFL. the main issue is not with the CA FFL who receives the gun (I am one), it is with the out of state FFL that must jump through the CA DOJ hoops to get permission to ship the gun to CA. Many Gunbroker sales have 'no sale to CA' disclaimers on them for that reason.

The easiest way to get around the on/list off/list issue is to have dual residency in a state with more lenient laws than CA (there are about 46 of them if you exclude NY,NJ, MASS).

"Ignore the BS you hear about how hard it is. It's really quite simple. Many, many gunsmiths and gun shops ship to CA. every day. It requires nothing more than a simple form to acquire a shipment approval number. "

I agree with the above statement.

You need to find a FFL that knows what they are doing. The lady I use can talk any FFL from another state through the process. It's a simple form... It is simply business.... A few of these transaction every day helps keep the door open. They should welcome your business.

Best wishes

used guns

Ive bought a couple of used rifles over the internet and most of the dealers have a three day inspection. You can send it back within three days. That's kinda a pain in the butt though. Some of the used gun sites have a 5 star rating for the sellers too. So you can tell if your dealing with a crook.

right....
go look at how many dealers REFUSE to ship to california...
it is never simple..even after you have jumped through all of their hoops.
..there is a reason people refuse to sell to ca.

Ignore the BS you hear about how hard it is. It's really quite simple. Many, many gunsmiths and gun shops ship to CA. every day. It requires nothing more than a simple form to acquire a shipment approval number.

right....
go look at how many dealers REFUSE to ship to california...
it is never simple..even after you have jumped through all of their hoops.
..there is a reason people refuse to sell to ca.
Absolutely Mike. Ignorance, laziness, listening to or reading stories from inexperienced people. For some strange reason, Al Warner, Bob Brackney, Dan Dowling, etc. etc. etc; have no problem performing transactions in CA. But then again, they're in business to make money.

BTW: The paperwork (about 60 seconds worth) applies to FFL to FFL transactions. A non FFL holder can ship directly to an FFL holder in CA. without the the CJOJ approval number.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would seem that those that won't ship to California are thinking wrong....but I don't know. Appears that the anti-gunners in California win.

It would seem that those that won't ship to California are thinking wrong....but I don't know. Appears that the anti-gunners in California win.

The laws here are overwhelmingly Draconian. CA is the only state that forbids ownership of a 50 cal. Barrett used to be a stone's throw from me. They now reside elsewhere...

It appeared to lawmakers that there was no skill involved in determining the lead for firing a 50 cal round at an airplane engine moving at 180 mph.

Or, that the lead that turkey vultures were eating was NOT the same lead composition used in bullets. Didn't matter. We can't use lead bullets to hunt.

I could go on for much longer, but I think you get the point.

The laws here are overwhelmingly Draconian. CA is the only state that forbids ownership of a 50 cal. Barrett used to be a stone's throw from me. They now reside elsewhere...

It appeared to lawmakers that there was no skill involved in determining the lead for firing a 50 cal round at an airplane engine moving at 180 mph.

Or, that the lead that turkey vultures were eating was NOT the same lead composition used in bullets. Didn't matter. We can't use lead bullets to hunt.

I could go on for much longer, but I think you get the point.
Thats odd! Barrett was founded in Christiana TN. They continue to operate from there. It was the condors consuming lead in the gut piles from animals, not vultures. The decision to not go on any longer is the right choice. You are damaging your credibility.

BTW: If you attended even one of the public F&G meetings regarding the lead, you would remember the studies performed, and the outcome. Lead from bullets was recovered from a few condors. No one denied that. However, whether the lead was the reason for the deaths, no one could prove.

Thats odd! Barrett was founded in Christiana TN. They continue to operate from there. It was the condors consuming lead in the gut piles from animals, not vultures. The decision to not go on any longer is the right choice. You are damaging your credibility.

BTW: If you attended even one of the public F&G meetings regarding the lead, you would remember the studies performed, and the outcome. Lead from bullets was recovered from a few condors. No one denied that. However, whether the lead was the reason for the deaths, no one could prove.

We had a manufacturer of 50 cal rifles in Redlands, Ca. (they relocated when the new law went into effect.. I probably should have clarified that -- I used Barrett as a generic for the rifle).

While I never attended any of the public meetings, I never saw any report that indicated that the lead consumed was of the same type used in the manufacture of bullets. Every report I read indicated it was a different alloy composition.

As far as whether they were condors or turkey vultures, I will quote Ronald Reagan: "If you have seen one tree, you have seen them all"

We had a manufacturer of 50 cal rifles in Redlands, Ca. (they relocated when the new law went into effect.. I probably should have clarified that -- I used Barrett as a generic for the rifle).

While I never attended any of the public meetings, I never saw any report that indicated that the lead consumed was of the same type used in the manufacture of bullets. Every report I read indicated it was a different alloy composition.

As far as whether they were condors or turkey vultures, I will quote Ronald Reagan: "If you have seen one tree, you have seen them all"

To quote you: "Barrett used to be a stones throw from me. Now they reside elsewhere". As for Regan's quote, it's actually, "if you have seen one redwood, you have seen them all". That was his words during his run for governor, before he actually looked at those magnificent 2,000 year old trees for the first time in his life. He soon thereafter, changed his mind. Quite similar to the question about allowing a dam to be constructed on the Eel river. When the reporter asked his view about damming the Eel, Regan asked, "where is it?" The reporter said, "you are standing right next to it". The embarrassed candidate was speechless.

To quote you: "Barrett used to be a stones throw from me. Now they reside elsewhere". As for Regan's quote, it's actually, "if you have seen one redwood, you have seen them all". That was his words during his run for governor, before he actually looked at those magnificent 2,000 year old trees for the first time in his life. He soon thereafter, changed his mind. Quite similar to the question about allowing a dam to be constructed on the Eel river. When the reporter asked his view about damming the Eel, Regan asked, "where is it?" The reporter said, "you are standing right next to it". The embarrassed candidate was speechless.

If you've listened to one RStiefel, you've listened to them all.

you can quote me on that.

Back