Butch's Twill Patches

When I use them I need to use a 22 jag for 6mm. I had gone through a couple of bags OK , then got an other two bag order, and one bag is even thicker, and can not be used in a 6mm wth a 22 jag. They wanted me to send them back on my $, and they would see what thay could do. I kept that bag and use it for other things like pistoils, and wipe downs of outside of guns. But it leaves me not knowing what to buy next time.

Jim

Jim ...

When I use them I need to use a 22 jag for 6mm. I had gone through a couple of bags OK , then got an other two bag order, and one bag is even thicker, and can not be used in a 6mm wth a 22 jag. They wanted me to send them back on my $, and they would see what thay could do. I kept that bag and use it for other things like pistoils, and wipe downs of outside of guns. But it leaves me not knowing what to buy next time. Jim

They look like a square patch. Did you try piercing them up near a corner?

I've found that with a square patch if you pierce them on a diagonal line from the center towards a corner, you can vary the amount of force needed to run a patch through a barrel. A lot of shooters think they always need to pierce a patch in the center. Not true. By varying where you pierce it [on a diagonal line from the center towards a corner] you can vary the force required.

When I want to leave a lot of solvent in the barrel I pierce it near a corner. When I want to make sure I have a real snug patch [when I use JB for instance OR dry out the barrel] I pierce it in the center. Hope this helps. Art :)

The ones that I had

6mm that is, You had to hook them way up in the corner. So far up that they did not wrap all the way arround the jag when they went thru the bore

I know all about using them off center when too tight. The one bag I have measures a few .000's more, and can not be used off center even with the next smaller jag.

I also have used their 22 patches, and have used a jag that I turned down.

Jim

My experience with them is that they are overly thick and not very absorbent. I like a patch that soaks up a bunch of solvent since that's what a patch does is transfer solvent to the bore. The Butch's patches might work well for shoving junk out of the bore, but not for applying solvents.

I have been using Pro-Shot patches

I have been using Pro-Shot patches and I like 'em.

Joe

Tried the twill patches, didn't like them. Use nothing but Pro-Shot now. Happy with them.

Donald

My experience with them is that they are overly thick and not very absorbent. I like a patch that soaks up a bunch of solvent since that's what a patch does is transfer solvent to the bore. The Butch's patches might work well for shoving junk out of the bore, but not for applying solvents.

Exactly. Too thick and not absorbent at all. I couldn't wait to get through the bag of 1000 I had some time ago. I will never use them again.

butches Twill

I like to use products that support the shooting sports.
Does Pro shot? I know butches does.
Maybe im wrong But....

Cleaning patches

I've tryed the twill patches on 6PPC and rimfire, for me the flannel patches do a better job............I get mine from sinclair.

butches twill

I have used both. I like the twill better.
The proshot have strings that come loose.
You have to check after using them to make sure that there isn't any string left in your bore. I think the twill is better, it is rougher and scrubs more out in my opinion. I also have made my own from baby flannel.
I cut them into 1nch squares for the 6mm. they are thick and work very well.
Baby flannel in the right weight also picks up a lot more solvent .

Patches

I am amused by the subject of patches. A few years back in a similar discussion, I commented that I made my own. One of the august elder members on this forum suggessted that I didn't support the shooting suppliers with this kind of attitude. Well, I was supporting a widow, Miss C who has the Cloth Barn by buying her premium flannel, two yards at a time. Still do!!!!! I do my best work when Olympic cross country skiing, curling, etc are on TV. Love shooters! V/R Greg

butches twill

The thing i liked about my own was not having to use as many.
Sometimes you strapped for time at a match and having to run only 2 instead of 4 to 6 is a help.
I don't know why anyone would object on making your own. I have another post about supporting the shooting sports. It's more then patches.

Back