Build your prefect SR Group rifle

Al Nyhus

"It'll never work!"
If you could build your perfect SR Group rifle for registered competition, what would it be? Whether it's one you have and would duplicate again or your dream build, what would it be? And why?

Forget the budget...let's have some fun with this. Looking forward to your replies.

Good shootin' :) -Al

It would be like one I already have, with a scope change. BAT DS action, Louis Bengivenni Redwood/carbon stock, BnA trigger, Bartlien barrel. I also have one for LV with a Mataya stock. I would like to get the March scope with the LR reticle for them. The stock made by Ivan Piani is available as well.

Last edited:
Weight becomes a big factor in components for a LV build, and recoil, too. While limited, we do have access to a few really good stocks that save weight and allow things such as tuners in LV. Of course I believe tuners are the best thing since sliced bread but I'd honestly say so if I didn't too.
I'm a big fan of the Grendel based wildcats and in my own experience, they can shoot with absolutely anything out there. But, the throne will never likely be removed from the ppc as king, in my lifetime, if ever. Again, I'd say mostly a coin toss here too. Not enough difference in the two to truly claim superiority either way, unless you factor in that 99.3% of people in that game all use the same cartridge...a ppc. That's where UBR shines because, it puts reasonable numbers of different cartridges head to head. The results will surprise some and others have, been there and done both enough to NOT be surprised to see something else close win, when all else is equal.

I guess a Borden B RLR Meredith stock, Shilen trigger, Hart barrel, March scope. Why is it nobody can come up with a chambering in 243 that will stay in tune better than what Is the usual?

I guess a Borden B RLR Meredith stock, Shilen trigger, Hart barrel, March scope. Why is it nobody can come up with a chambering in 243 that will stay in tune better than what Is the usual?
From what I've seen in the PPC, any load that is easily tuned is too wind sensitive to be competitive. 28.5grs shoots good most of the time, but will get steamrolled in a match.

It would be like one I already have, with a scope change. BAT DS action, Louis Bengivenni Redwood/carbon stock, BnA trigger, Bartlien barrel. I also have one for LV with a Mataya stock. I would like to get the March scope with the LR reticle for them. The stock made by Ivan Piani is available as well.
I've had several BAT's over the years but like actions that use the Walker firing pin system better, for no particular reason.

I built my dream rifle last year. It’s a melonited Bat DS RBLPRE action in a Roy Hunter stock. It’s chambered in 6 PPC with a 13.5 twist Krieger barrel. It has a Flavio trigger.

If money wasn’t an issue, I would have a March 48x scope on it. It currently has a Sightron 45x scope. Tom Meredith put a PMA weight kit in the butt and 8 oz weight to balance the rifle and bring the weight up to 10 lb 7 oz.

The only thing that would make the rifle better is if I had a second one to match :). If I were to do it over again, I would build a gun identical to the one I have.

I have a Borden now and have had it for several years. It is a very good rifle, I have nothing adverse to say about it. super smooth operating and shoots as well as I can shoot it. It's in a Meredith stock which Tom bedded and has Shilen barrel with a Beggs tuner on it. 1-17 30 BR.

I don't know why I keep VFS rifles though. I pretty much only shoot Hunter rifles because that is what I love to shoot. I have owned a lot of great BR rifles' during my time. I got in the habit of trading Jack knives when I was a young lad and never got over it. I have been the very same with rifles, motorcycles and motor vehicles. I have had so many great rifles I guess I think they are all great but truly, I have only owned one DOG in the over 20 years I have ben shooting. I knew it was a dog when I bought it and thought I could fix it but gave up. I shot my smallest group with that rifle though. Three shot group measured under 308" actual. Had a witness too. but the rifle would throw shots randomly. The lad who bought it thanked me for selling it to him though. Guess he didn't have any problems with it so all's well that ends well.

I attended a short school on Action Accurizing last winter and think if I had the rifle back I could fix it now.

Last edited:
Tom Meredith has bedded all of my competition rifles. I'm just fortunate that he only lives 15 minutes from me.

Back