Breaking News: Remington M700 Recall

The Remington (Walker) trigger pending judgement...

Remington passed up on the opportunity to spend a mere 5 1/2 cents per gun to avoid future problems. There were several deaths and many injuries reported due to a trigger malfunction. The pending judgement will involve replacing 7 1/2 million triggers AT NO COST TO THE GUN OWNER. It should be noted that no one has asked or answered the BASIC question.....How many faulty triggers left the factory that way and how many were maladjusted by "shadetree" mechanics in an effort to reduce the trigger pull? There is no determinable answer because of humane nature to lie. Then again, how many accidents took place because Safety Precautions were NOT observed and the gun was blamed. Hmmmm?

Having owned, used and enjoyed REM 700 type guns since 1958 I never had a trigger problem that couldn't be rectified by proper procedures. IMHO the present corporate owners of Remington have a tough row to hough.

No Problems With My Rem Triggers

I have seven model 700s, two model 7s, a 40XBR and a 722. I do adjust my triggers if needed and have never had a problem. I do the drop-test, the bolt-slam test and I squeeze the trigger hard with the safety engaged and then disengage it. I have triggers adjusted to as low as 2 pounds with no issues. I do keep them clean with lighter fluid if they need it and I don't douse them with lubricant. I have no intention of replacing all these triggers. I did replace the one on my 700 SPS .308 with a Rifle-Basix 2 ounce because I use that for hunter bench rest. I also replaced the one on my .260 F-class with a 6 ounce Jewell. I have one X-mark trigger on a new .264 magnum that I have never shot. I believe I will replace it with one of the older-generation take-offs. That will leave 8 out of the 10 with factory triggers and I have no quams about that. I would rather work on a Remington trigger than most others.

I can't recall about the others, but the model 7 that I have hunted with this fall allows the bolt to open with the safety engaged. That is how I remove the round in the chamber and I use the floor plate latch to drop the other rounds. Perhaps some ADL's with a blind magazine are tough to unload safely, but one should be doing this before you get back to the car or camp, with the rifle pointed in a safe direction. Also, in much hunting, there is no need to carry the rifle with a round in the chamber. Lots of people pay no attention to basic safety rules. That's why I'm really picky about my hunting and shooting companions.

I hope Remington survives this. I see this as one more step in the campaign to declare all guns inherently unsafe. While we're at it, let's outlaw doctors, hospitals and medicine because of all the deaths they inadvertently cause - far more than gun accidents.

Mordicai Jones, the Flim Flam Man, was just about right!

The old con man believed that it was GREED, not love, that makes the world go round.:mad: Although I do not totally agree with that philosophy, there is a lot of truth in it.

Greed is driving the pending litigation against Remington, plain old GREED! :mad:

There will always be those who refuse to accept responsibility for anything bad that happens to them although it is clearly their own stupidity and carelessness that caused the disaster in the first place.

There are a great number of people who for whatever reason just cannot be trusted with dangerous items of any kind. So, what should be done? :eek: Should everything dangerous be banned? Why hell no! :mad: The answer is to start holding people responsible for their actions and quit trying to place the blame for everything bad that happens on those who provide fine products and services for us.

FWIW

Gene Beggs

The old con man believed that it was GREED, not love, that makes the world go round.:mad: Although I do not totally agree with that philosophy, there is a lot of truth in it.

Greed is driving the pending litigation against Remington, plain old GREED! :mad:

There will always be those who refuse to accept responsibility for anything bad that happens to them although it is clearly their own stupidity and carelessness that caused the disaster in the first place.

There are a great number of people who for whatever reason just cannot be trusted with dangerous items of any kind. So, what should be done? :eek: Should everything dangerous be banned? Why hell no! :mad: The answer is to start holding people responsible for their actions and quit trying to place the blame for everything bad that happens on those who provide fine products and services for us.

FWIW

Gene Beggs

Could not agree more. My father taught me (over and over), if there is a round in the chamber it can go off, period. He also preached never ever point a gun loaded or unload at anything you do not want to kill ( also over and over).
Bill in sunny Florida only made 75 today!

Remington has published a reply regarding the rumor of a recall, which is not what Remington is calling it. Looks like if the court approves it, they will be shelling out for a lot of replacement triggers for a lot of rifle models, not just the 700.
Bob

I see nothing faulty about a Remington trigger. The fault is over oiling and dirt or poor adjustment. People screw up and blame it on something rather than their own stupidity and then get a Lawyer involved and they get the ball rolling. Why would you point a gun at someone even if it's empty let alone loaded. The responsibility rest with the individual. ….jim

Back