Brass Annealing

waynej1

Does anyone know of anyone in the Texas area that can anneal some brass? I have about 200-250 pieces of PPC that I need done. Have thought of doing it myself with the pan of water deal, but don't want to screw these up. Thanks in advance. waynej

If you have some old brass or some from a simmilar sized cartridge laying around you can practice with those, view the youtube annealers and get a process that works for you.
The more you can control in this game the better off you'll be and in a hours time or there bouts, you will have your brass done no need to work around someone elses schedule.

I believe that there is one inescapable conclusion that anyone that has studied case annealing would have to come to. Just because someone makes a video about how they anneal cases, and posts it on a free hosting site, has absolutely no relation to whether they actually know what they are doing, neither evidently does how long someone has been doing it. There is a well written article on the subject, here. http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/annealing/
Based on my own limited experience, a machine that tightly controls the amount of time that a case is heated is the best way to assure uniformity. Even so, there is some degree of variability in the end product, and this may well require some range testing to get it right for a given application. For example, some caliber/bullet/ powder combinations may be more tolerant of a soft neck than others. For instance, using 133 and typical short range Benchrest weight bullets, I find that a generous amount of neck tension is desirable, so making them softer than when new, as uniform as they might be, would in my mind be undesirable. On the other hand, in the past I have tried a powder, that is no longer obtainable, that did not seem to "care" about neck tension at all. In any case, given the cost of replacement, I would go slow with the annealing of PPC cases, given that the result could be uniform, safe, unusable cases.

I have considered buying one of the machines and offering the process to others but because of liability I have not done so yet.
Along with the fact I have not found any solid data that can tell me how long can we expect cases to last if we anneal them on a regular basis.
I mean if I could have 100 cases last 4 times longer than by annealing than just standard shooting, say ppc in competition for example.
I would invest in the annealer myself because it would pay for itself in brass cost alone.
But for competition sake will they last that long and be as accurate as they need to be?
Has anyone found that documentation from actual reality yet?

I am hoping someone will come up with an affordable Induction Annealer. That would both simplify things and make annealing cases a lot easier. I am in a partnership owning a Ken Light machine. We have owned it for five years or so I guess. It works fine but requires extra steps an Induction unit would not require.

I have some cases that are over 10 years old that still work as well as they did when they were new. I went through a period where my necks were breaking off but discovered, from a post on here, that it was my die that was breaking them so I fixed that and have had no more problems.

Speaking of necks breaking off, has anyone come up with a 30BR 40* reamer and using it?

Last edited:
Contact Darrell Jones 901-826-1503. He will ultrasonically clean and anneal the brass at an attractive price. My 6PPC brass can back looking and shooting like new brass.

I have often wondered about these little 22ppc .100 short cases i have been playing with. They go through quite a change while forming the brass and pushing the shoulders down. I just wonder if annealing would benefit anything in this case? I dont have a annealer unit but i have though about buying one. I cant seem to bring myself to purchase one as of yet though. I would rather buy another barrel at this time than an annealing machine. I am convinced that the bench source unit is the best one on the market, and if i were ever to get one, It would have to be a bench source unit.

Pete:

You may recall as I do, a guy that developed an induction annealer who posted here or on 6mm br forum. He was going to develop a switch with timer to uniform the heat exposure. The only reservation I might have with such a unit would be that it "ramps up" very rapidly and a switch or limiter would have to operate in a very steep part of the slope, so to speak, and missing by only a fraction of a second could put you over the top into soft brass. Of course you could tempilaque several cases as a control. I also use Ken Light's system and set up and tweaking is an initial pain, but I can then run through a bunch of cases pretty quickly.

Mike

Waynej1
I own the bench source unit and am very fond of it. I would not mind you comming out and useing it sometime if the drive is reasonable for you I love meeting people with the same intrest and do not mind helping someone out. What goes around comes around so come on out and anneal some cases it goes pretty quick when you get it going. I can give you directions if you are intrested on here or call 817-396-4325.

Thank you sir, I just may take you up on that. We are not that far apart, and would be a good day to say the least. My schedule is fairly tight, so will get with you in the near future to arrange a visit. I appreciate the help very much, as these have been very good brass for me in the past, and hope to reserect. waynej1

I also use a Bench Source annealer and get excellent results but annealing is more of an art than a process, there is a very fine line between right and wrong and many people do it wrong(You tube proves this time & time again).

I anneal brass for several on a few different forums but just to help out since it really cost me nothing and would also be glad to help any of you out that need it, just IM me if interested.

SAM_0235.jpg

Back