borescopes

canuck

Ok, you guys helped me get a good electronic scale. Now I need your help picking the right hawkeye borescope or are there others you would suggest?
The hawkeye has a number of different models with straight eye piece/ angled and now I see they even have a new model with focusing eye box( whatever that is)...
Any help would be much appreciated..

I would go with their basic borescope. The cheapest. The only purpose for a borescope is to get your rifle shooting on the target. It is not for final zeroing. Final zeroing will need to be done the old fashioned way. If you can get on the paper at 25 yards you can move out from there.

Borescope not boresight.

I spent the extra bucks for the Hawkeye with the angled eyepiece and the focusing feature and I'm glad that I did. I would recommend that you purchase that model.

Dick

I use mine every day and i got the model that doesnt even come with the hard case. Right angle mirror is s must but my cardboard box with the fitted foam works fine

I got the one with the straight focusing eyepiece. I tried another shooter's borescope that had the the angled eyepiece & I didn't care for it. It seemed like I needed a third hand to use it.

I like the angled eyepiece

I don't use my Hawkeye all that often, but I'm glad I have it. It gives me peace of mind. It took a while to figure out how to hold and focus it. If the rifle is to my left, I hold the angled part cradled in the palm of my right hand. I use the left hand to hold the flashlight and to focus and rotate the mirror. If the rifle is to my right, I turn the whole operation around and swap hands. I have to refocus at this point since I'm am twisting the angled part around. This all takes a bit of practice. It is important to make sure the mirror tube doesn't slip out a bit along the shaft and ruin the focus. This is the job of the thumb and forefinger of the hand that holds the flashlight.

Borescopes etc

I am going to sell my zeiss endoscope that I purchased back in 1988 before things like hawkeye etc came onto the market. It's just too expensive to replace if something were to get broken. It has all the bells and whistles you could ask for including a fibre optic cable attachment. The resolution and contrast are significantly better than anything else I've seen to date. But you don't need that much to examine a rifle barrel. I have compared the hawkeye with a a couple of others and believe without testing just visual interpretation the inovative technologies version is all you would need.
Andy.

Correct me if I am wrong

Andy,
I found the same as you. I just gave mine to a friend that has a gunshop.

Butch correct me if I have miss interpreted the above. You gave a zeiss endoscope away. Back in 1988 I paid about 12K for one of those. Replacement cost would be about 20 today. I hope the gun shop guy appreciates what he has been given.
Andy.

Andy,
Mine was given to me several years ago without the power supply. The power supply was not that expensive. No, I did not buy a new one.

We have the Hawkeye Pro's in our shop. We also have the video and still camera attachments. They have a better quality image than the $26,000 Olympus systems we also have.

Seen 'em

We have the Hawkeye Pro's in our shop. We also have the video and still camera attachments. They have a better quality image than the $26,000 Olympus systems we also have.

Yeah I have seen the olympus systems and tested them when I was in the optics lab. The contrast and tonal separation was Ok but not great. The zeiss and rodenstock systems were more than just perceptibly better than other systems. For the price I wouldn't consider a hawkeye over the IT seeing I have compared the images from both side by side. Myself I'd sell the olympus for what I could get for it.
Andy.

I too am curious about the new lyman one. I wonder if it will be any good. At $250 it is a hell of a lot cheaper.....

Back