Bolt Grease

K Hope

What kind of grease is bolt grease and can it be bought over the counter.
My supplier is not able to send it to me anymore (CANNOT BE SHIPPED OUT OF THE U.S.). and I am looking for alternatives.
Thanks

Ken

Most any synthetic high performance lithium extreme pressure "EP" automotive grease giving protection against rust and corrosion and high performance at both high & low temps will sufice. Mobil 1 Synthetic comes to mind.

This isn't rocket science with some compound found on a planet in a galaxy far, far away and synthsied here on earth by elves working in a hidden lab in the Black Forest.

Hey Vince,

Thanks for the offer. I did a search in some old threads and have found a lot of different options. Looks like STP, Mobil 1 Synthetic grease and a few others are common. I’ve got something to look at this winter…..

Thanks All

Ken

I've got some Cam2 EP 2 Grade grease, an operator gave me some from a job last year. The stuff really works nice, and it's puke green.... Hmmm about the same color as the stuff you get from Kelbly's.

Paul

If you can't find what you want why not just try some petrolem jelly (vasoline). Get really creative and mix a bit of graphite or boron nitride with it. Its not rocket sicience. Just a lube to keep the lugs from gauling. I personally use pro-gold, also on my barrel tenons.
Donald

I picked up some HBN to try on my bags. Later I mixed some with some bolt grease, and tried it on my bolt. It seems to have lowered the friction beyond what I would have expected from the grease alone.

What kind of grease is bolt grease and can it be bought over the counter.
My supplier is not able to send it to me anymore (CANNOT BE SHIPPED OUT OF THE U.S.). and I am looking for alternatives.
Thanks

Ken

Sure glad that the State Dep't and Homeland Security are saving us from those tricksters in Quebec (I guess). Never know when someone will take over the world with some ultra trick bolt grease!

Back