Blueing question Oxynate 84

J

JohnsonGunsmith

I have had no success with this yet on blueing stainless any advice on how to get a deep color instead of just a dark grey? invested in it and anoter tank etc with no success. it is very frustrating and I really want to get it working so far just a dark grey is the best I have got.
Thanks guys,
Brandon Johnson

Your about going to have to bead blast the barrel or gas it in muratic acid for about 30 to60 seconds to get it to blue or black color. I use 84 and you have to mess with it some on temp usally 250 degrees. but your going to have to breake the surface with glass beads or aluminum oxcide. hope this helps

I read somewhere that the stainless blackeners work by oxidizing the surface chrome to chrome sulfate. If so, it stands to reason that acid passivation to remove most of the surface iron would expose more chrome and less iron, thus obtaining a darker color. Abrasive blasting might work by selectively removing iron since it is softer than chrome. I have not tried it, so take my theory with the appropriate amount of salt(LOL).

RWO

Back