Black Necks On Fired Cases?

antelopedundee

internet bum
Am going to go out tomorrow and shoot the Black Beauty that I summarized in the Life Is Good thread. I have a bunch of old .25-06 ammo to shoot up which is a big reason I had the gun made to start with. Just looking at some fired cases from the past, the necks seem awful black [see pics]. Could it be the necks are turned too thin? This will be the second firing of these particular cases. The rifle these were fired in many years ago had some issues like maybe a maximum size chamber and possibly excessive headspace. I had a number of case head separations from it. The barrel was a Douglas and a local friend was supposed to fit it. He could never turn it in tight enough so he sent it to Douglas to have them do it. I would think they would have made sure the headspace was acceptable before returning it. So anyway we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

I'll probably end up throwing a lot of cases in the scrap brass bucket. I do have 100 new Serbian Prvi Partizan cases for later use.

Attachments

• black neck.jpg
    black neck.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 399
  • black neck1.jpg
    black neck1.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 306
Maybe not a lot of neck tension there now?

Pull a couple, resize the neck, dump the powder back & see how they come out.

Maybe not a lot of neck tension there now?

Pull a couple, resize the neck, dump the powder back & see how they come out.

Possible. When I turned them I cleaned up 100% of the neck.

Maybe it won't be an issue with this rifle. Don't want a bunch of black chit in my chamber neck.

I'll try that suggestion if I still see the issue.

There are a lot more questions to be asked here but if the rifle shoots OK...the cases are just fine right where they are. That black stuff in your chamber is gonna be there and how much doesn't really matter since you have to clean it out anyway. The same cleaning will get it all regardless of how much is in there.

Lower pressure loads, lack of neck thickness coupled with less than higher pressure.
Some powder s that do not build pressure as quickly.

pressure is too low and will possibly start caving in your shoulders if1'n you don't TIP THE JUG a liddle more........

Lower pressure loads, lack of neck thickness coupled with less than higher pressure.
Some powder s that do not build pressure as quickly.

It was some old military surplus ball powder that I got rid of long ago and no longer have the loading data for. Used 55 grains of it behind a 117 grain bullet. Bummer that when I went to the range, the COL was too long and the rounds wouldn't chamber. So I need to re-seat them for this rifle.

It was some old military surplus ball powder that I got rid of long ago and no longer have the loading data for. Used 55 grains of it behind a 117 grain bullet. Bummer that when I went to the range, the COL was too long and the rounds wouldn't chamber. So I need to re-seat them for this rifle.
Dundee, I believe that brickeye and alinwa R onto something - if you ever get near Madrid, stop by, and I'll let you try some of the new magic [IMR] powders - got a little of most . . . a couple of which should be very good in the .25/06. That original BIG chamber and turned (cleaned-up) necks didn't help the situation - even a SAAMI speck neck is pretty roomy. RG

Dundee, I believe that brickeye and alinwa R onto something - if you ever get near Madrid, stop by, and I'll let you try some of the new magic [IMR] powders - got a little of most . . . a couple of which should be very good in the .25/06. That original BIG chamber and turned (cleaned-up) necks didn't help the situation - even a SAAMI speck neck is pretty roomy. RG

Thanks R. G. I'll probably pull the bullets and use the powder for lawn fertilizer. Refill with newer powder and re-seat the bullets.

Have you made a chamber casting and verified measured neck diameter?

Not sure why I would do that since I no longer have the barrel that those cases with the black necks were fired in. The loaded rounds that would produce the black necks [at least I thought that they would if I fired them] wouldn't chamber in my new rifle. I've already pulled the bullets and dumped the powder.
I had some other cases that were fired in that old barrel that I full length resized and they still won't chamber in my new .25-06. So for all my old ammo, if it chambers I'll shoot it. If not, i'll junk it.

Last edited:
Book Of Rifle Accuracy

Not sure why I would do that since I no longer have the barrel that those cases with the black necks were fired in. The loaded rounds that would produce the black necks [at least I thought that they would if I fired them] wouldn't chamber in my new rifle. I've already pulled the bullets and dumped the powder.
I had some other cases that were fired in that old barrel that I full length resized and they still won't chamber in my new .25-06. So for all my old ammo, if it chambers I'll shoot it. If not, i'll junk it.

I would suggest that you get a copy of the "Book of Rifle Accuracy" by Tony Boyer and it
will help you to reload.

Back