Bill Whitener

Chism G

I received a message yesterday that Benchrest shooter and bullet maker,Bill Whitener had passed away, the day before. I have no details of funeral arrangements. Bill was a regular shooter at the NTSA Denton Texas Club,where I met him. He was also an avid Rimfire Benchrest shooter.

This is indeed more sad news that appears to be a frequent occurrence on this board.
Sorry I don’t have more details.

The following is a short post by Bill Whitener that gives a glimpse of the man.

He will be missed.

Bill Whitener

I started shooting BR in 88 and got be be friends with Myles Hollister and spent many hours on the phone . He helped me get started making bullets - due his selling and getting a new set of dies every time I needed more bullets. I started shooting pistols in 1965 and after a few years I wasn't steady enough on my feet to shoot the scores to be able win. That's when I got Clarence Hammond to build me 2 guns. After that , all my factory guns set in the safe. I have some thing to pass on to my grand sons. I have tried to shoot every BR range in the US - I think I still like 7 or 8. I just got a set of 30 cal bullet dies from Bill Niemi-{ For My Friend -Paul Bowers} and they came in about an hour ago - now I have something to do this winter. Benchrest is a VERY addictive sport and If you like shooting guns in competition and all the things related to BR - it can consume many hours of your time and keep you busy in your retirement.

Gosh, another good guy gone. I knew Bill when he lived in Richmond, VA . He was, a that time shooting both Rimfire & Centerfire Benchrest. Then he moved west. He was always a pleasure to talk to.

Sorry to hear of Bill's passing, he was a great guy and a very good shooter. I really enjoyed shooting with Bill when he lived in Virginia. Prayers for his family in this time of loss.

I can still see the "Native Texan" bumper sticker on that camper. Great guy with a great sense of humor. We are truly diminished. RIP Bill.

I talked to Bill, a year and a half ago, at an ASC Club Shoot,Arlington,Tx. At that time, he was living in McKinney,Tx.

Bill sold his business in VA and moved to McKinney,Tx around 2006/2007.

Bill was a great Guy. May he RIP.

Glenn

Last edited:
Sad news indeed

Bill surely was a great guy. I remember the lovely Shooting Trailer he had as well as his great personality. He was a great example of someone who to live up to.

Pete

Back