Best way to balance daisy wheels?

B

BR guy

How do you balance the plastic daisy wheels on wind flags? I have found the heavy side that always turns down. Now what? Many thanks. Sam

I like a black vane so that I can more easily see speed of rotation. If you pick one to blacken that is opposite the heavy side, you can balance with paint.

I use solder wire held

How do you balance the plastic daisy wheels on wind flags? I have found the heavy side that always turns down. Now what? Many thanks. Sam

inside the hub with ordinary glue. You can use a small bit of tape to get it right before you glue. Works great.

Use small sheetmetal screws on the light side to balance out. Use as many screws as it takes .

Keith Hansley in NC

Stick-on wheel weights

Go to your local tire shop and ask then for a couple of stick-on wheel weights used for aluminum rims. Cut them in small pieces and stick them on the high side of the daisy wheel, add just enough to balance the wheel.

gac

I use thumb tacks ( as far out on the pedal as possible), just push thur then bend the tip flat

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

Try Lead Tape

Go to your nearest specialty golf shop and get a couple rolls of lead tape. Apply as needed to the light blades. Works great!!! :)

Smitty is right...

Steve Robbins, who is kinda into golf, gave me some lead tape a while ago... it works absolutely great.

Highly recommended.

Dick

Butch is right! I don't use them anymore but on my old ones I took a dremel tool to the backside of the heavy blade.

I am a one man wrecking crew with a dremel!:D

Butch,
Just let them alone. The more that use daisy wheels the more there will be that don't catch the fast pickup or letup. ;) Might as well use a Model T wheel in my opinion. I use the lightest prop than I can find. Pinwheels work great, better when you remove half the blades.

Donald

I have observed

people without them shoot as well or better than those who have them. I have both and find it easier to use flags without dasies. I rely on my Probes heavily even if I do use dasies. I also find that adding one more piece of information to process is counterproductive for me.

The dasies I have I balanced with pop rivits and backing washers poped into the petals on the light side. That is a quick and dirty way to do it. At the rate they seem to get broken, Quick and dirty is probably good enough :D

Last edited:
Sam ...

Mark the heavy blade with a pen of some sort. Put a small piece of lead tape, as found at: http://www.golfsmith.com/products/9065/Golfsmith/High_Density_Lead_Tape_1/2# for instance, on the opposite blade. Spin the wheel. When the blade that was the heaviest no longer rotates to the bottom [keep adding tape until this happens] but ends up in a variety of positions you will know that you finally balanced the wheel. ;)

There has been a prponderance of

answers to your question based on adding weight to balance the daisy. That really does work well when you are balancing a tire. USAC, Nascar, Formula One, all would agree. But when it comes to daisies, I personally remove weight form the heavy petal(s). I do not want any more mass out there to KEEP spinning when the letup comes than I absolutely have to have. More mass, more inertia, more lag time to see the letup. More mass, more inertia at rest, slower reaction to a push. Basic physics. A man by the name of Newton figured that out a LONG time ago. Just need to apply it properly.

Broken?

people without them shoot as well or better than those who have them. I have both and find it easier to use flags without dasies. I rely on my Probes heavily even if I do use dasies. I also find that adding one more piece of information to process is counterproductive for me.

The dasies I have I balanced with pop rivits and backing washers poped into the petals on the light side. That is a quick and dirty way to do it. At the rate they seem to get broken, Quick and dirty is probably good enough :D

depends on the ham fisted flag setter we have :)

Sam ...

But when it comes to daisies, I personally remove weight from the heavy petal(s).

Certainly a viable option, only don't over due it or you'll be right back where you started.

Adding lead tape [used on golf clubs] is not like adding weights to tires. Small pieces of the tape, which I've used for over 35 years, can weigh fractions of an ounce. Although it's call lead tape, it's thin and light weight. When added to a golf club it's used as the final step in bringing the club up to a predetermined swing weight.

As the name applies it can be easily added or removed, adjusted, or added on top of another piece.

Just another alternative worth considering. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back