Best, most economical resizing lubricant

H

horseshoe

I hope you folks can give me some ideas and suggestions of the Best , Better, and most Economical resizing lubricant you use, as most spray lubes sold at gun shops are rather expensive when doing quite a bit of resizing and reloading. I use Imperial wax when neck sizing , but would like to find something in a spray that might be inexpensive. Thanks in advance. Possibly some item at an auto parts that would do an equally good job.

Most of the spray lubes are liquid lanolin, diluted with 90%+ IPA (isopropyl alcohol). Ratio is about 4 or 5 parts alcohol to 1 part lanolin - though some reports say to go to as high as 9:1. (From experience, 4:1 probably isn't enough dilution.) Buy the alcohol locally - any good department store, pharmacy, or supermarket should carry 90% or stronger IPA. The liquid lanolin is a bit harder to find, but it is available online (meaning there's a shipping fee).

An alternative is to use anhydrous lanolin (not a liquid, but a semisolid grease). For the price of a tin of Imperial, you can buy a pound of anhydrous lanolin.

One alternative I haven't tried is using wire pulling lubricant. Available at most home or electrical stores. About $10 a quart (and usually usually less).

More ideas (and advice how to mix liquid lanolin and alcohol) is available at http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Sizing .

An alternative is to use anhydrous lanolin (not a liquid, but a semisolid grease). For the price of a tin of Imperial, you can buy a pound of anhydrous lanolin.

The lanolin is a wonderful lube for resizing and it's good for your hands too ;)

I use a lube pad (that's about 20 years old) and RCBS water based sizing lube. You can put about 10 cases on the pad, use the palm of your hand and roll the back and forth a couple times and you're good to go. It cleans off as easy as Imperial. One bottle of the lube will last a very long time.

It lubes better than Imperial in some cases (no pun here).

I use generic spray cooking oil. I don't even know what it costs, I find it in the kitchen cabinet next to the olive oil.

Second this motion....

I use a lube pad (that's about 20 years old) and RCBS water based sizing lube. You can put about 10 cases on the pad, use the palm of your hand and roll the back and forth a couple times and you're good to go. It cleans off as easy as Imperial. One bottle of the lube will last a very long time.

It lubes better than Imperial in some cases (no pun here).

Have used the above RCBS lub with its pad for years with great results. Works great and cleans up in a jiffy.

virg

Gotta go with Imperial, especially for severe sizing chores. It's economical, easy to apply, and works

I have stuck several cases while F/L sizing with spray lubricants and gave up on them. Imperial is great, and I have several cans. But Hornady Unique is just as good, cheaper, and lasts much longer.

Back